Is Neonitro good by its self?

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so i tested for nutrients last night a few hrs after lights out and my No3 teste 0.0 and my Po4 tested .18

Ive been trying to over feed, turned off my skimmer, only funning it a few hours per day.

My LFS recommend me to use NeoNitro but after reading the back of the bottle, im not quite sure if it will help.
It says to maintain a low-nutrient tank which its not what i want to do...im trying to raise my nutrients.

Am i understanding the label wrong? Should i use it or not use it?

Any recommendations on what i can do.

Im battling green cyano due to the low nutrients.

Can anyone help please.
Thank you

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it. Definitely works, but so does feeding your tank, or buying Sodium Nitrate and mixing it if you want to save $$.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you probably do want a low nutrient tank. Low is obviously subjective but it certainly not zero. Adding this will increase your nitrates for sure....at least temporarily. Will also likely see that it ends up lowering your pphosphates.

It should work just fine for you, but there are definitely more affordable options to do the same thing if willing to make your own solution.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, works very well. Ive been using NeoNitro since my tank cycled considering I wanted to add fish further down the line. My system strips out around 1ppm of nitrate every 48hours so I dose 5mil every other day. Works fast

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you everyone! My tank is quite mixed so i rather keep the nitrates on the higher side of things

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you probably do want a low nutrient tank. Low is obviously subjective but it certainly not zero. Adding this will increase your nitrates for sure....at least temporarily. Will also likely see that it ends up lowering your pphosphates.

It should work just fine for you, but there are definitely more affordable options to do the same thing if willing to make your own solution.
Ok, im always willing to put in the work, what do you recomended?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium nitrate is what everyone uses these days. With a simple calculator to figure out how to mix it up, and how much to dose.

Neonitro works just fine for raising nitrates, it's just not the cheapest stuff in the world, and we have no idea what the purity of said product is.

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so ive read the instructions please tell me if im doing this wrong or its right... my tank total volume is 112. Due to rocks, equipment, sand, ect...im estimating its about 105 actual water voluem. I like to raise my nitrate to about 10ppm or so.
So...
105x10.0x.1261= 132.405

So i would dose 132 ml to the system every other day or so until desire nitrate concentration?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so ive read the instructions please tell me if im doing this wrong or its right... my tank total volume is 112. Due to rocks, equipment, sand, ect...im estimating its about 105 actual water voluem. I like to raise my nitrate to about 10ppm or so.
So...
105x10.0x.1261= 132.405

So i would dose 132 ml to the system every other day or so until desire nitrate concentration?
Yes your math is correct, but do not add that much at one time. Going to fast is just as bad as having 0.

If it were me and my tank:

I would dose to say 2ppm, test in about 20 minutes(give it a good amount of time to mix in), so I have an accurate reading. The test again tomorrow, and add what was missing, and bump up the number a bit.

You may find you dose a lot to start with, then as things get full(biomass, rocks, sand, etc) you may find you need to back it off.

Also keep an eye on your phosphates. With the addition of nitrates, you may find your phosphates start to decline.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basically start small, like 1 or 2 ppm, then bump up your dosage every day until your at your desired level.

Do not add all 10ppm at one time, go slow. Remember stability is the key to a reef tank, not the actual numbers.

OP
OP
Reefer_kano

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that makes more sense to me, it didnt seem right to dose that much right of way

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back