Is phyto worth is without zoos

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to my lfs and wanted to try live pods, the owner talked me into live phyto plankton (6oz for 10$) and said it was super great for a mixed reef tank with a scooter blenny in it. I bought it and did some research. Is phyto even useful if I only have amphipods, i dont have copepods or zooplankton (from what I can tell) should I have dosed zooplankton or copepods before buying this bottle of phyto or will the phyto directly feed my lps and soft corals

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the brand

20190802_084356.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coral are carnivorous mostly and they eat very little phytoplankton..

Phytoplankton has been found in the stomach of some corals like gorgonia but it also could be there because they ate something that ate phyto.

With most zoas it really is hard to know what they eat if anything.

Phytoplankton has been added to reef aquariums to feed the other little critters that are food for our corals.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral are carnivorous mostly and they eat very little phytoplankton..

Phytoplankton has been found in the stomach of some corals like gorgonia but it also could be there because they ate something that ate phyto.

With most zoas it really is hard to know what they eat if anything.

Phytoplankton has been added to reef aquariums to feed the other little critters that are food for our corals.
So it is good to add to my reef? For my pods and corals? The bottle also says to add 20 drops every day (1 per gallon) since my tank isnt heavily stocked should I cut down also since I do reef roids.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good if you feel good about it.. lol. ;)

I can't say for sure. I feel like I see more pods on my glass when I occasionally dose it. Put it this way. It can't be "bad," unless you overdose it consistently.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it is good to add to my reef? For my pods and corals? The bottle also says to add 20 drops every day (1 per gallon) since my tank isnt heavily stocked should I cut down also since I do reef roids.

I do add phyto to my reefs.. I do it for sponges, feather dusters or other critters like copepods etc.
Yea you do not want to over dose for sure because phyto does have nutrients when it breaks down.. Start out slowly...

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do add phyto to my reefs.. I do it for sponges, feather dusters or other critters like copepods etc.
Yea you do not want to over dose for sure because phyto does have nutrients when it breaks down.. Start out slowly...
I'll start with half doses.. or whole doses every other day, I should dose copepods also to build a population I currently only have amphipods. I added baby brine shrimp but I feel they arent in there anymore lol or do brine shrimp grow and live in a reef tank easily

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started dosing Phyto to the tanks at the farm a lil over a year ago and our tanks have been nothing short of happy. The overall tank heatlh that comes from feeding the "little critters" as someone put it is killer. As long as there is phyto available i will always dose in my tanks.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll start with half doses.. or whole doses every other day, I should dose copepods also to build a population I currently only have amphipods. I added baby brine shrimp but I feel they arent in there anymore lol or do brine shrimp grow and live in a reef tank easily

I doubt the BBS are alive, something would eat them..

I use also phyto to culture copepods, rotifers and brine shrimp.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That bottle he is showing in the beginning is Dead photo I believe. Good for raising nitrate and phosphate, I dose live phyto we culture ourselves twice a day.

Yep that is dead. Reeds does offer a live version.
Actually in the fridge the dead can last longer but not in the tank..
I use that sometime for culturing my rots and copepods.
I do raise my own phyto from time to time. It is the thing I hate most doing so I use Reeds algae pastes I think is called instant algae now. Not as good as live though.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture he's showing is Phyto Feast Live. You can see the word 'Live' partially covered by his thumb.
This version has a higher ratio of live algae than regular Phyto Feast, but does not have the same long-term stability.
I prefer the Live, and with luck, might get through the whole bottle before the expiration date.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That bottle he is showing in the beginning is Dead photo I believe. Good for raising nitrate and phosphate, I dose live phyto we culture ourselves twice a day.

The bottle this person is holding is our 6 species blend, Phyto-Feast Live (contains live algae). Our non-viable (dead) Phyto-Feast is also a 6 species blend and isn't "good for raising nitrate and phosphate"; it's good for keeping zooplankton, certain coral types and bivalves alive, long-term. Anything alive or dead that you add to an aquarium brings phosphate and nitrate with it. Overfeeding any food to your aquarium raises phosphates and nitrates. We have a lot of respect for you guys and you do a lot for this hobby, but your comment here is misleading and doesn't convey the right message to hobbyists about our flagship product. Many, many professionals in aquaculture use our non-viable algae without issue.

Best,
Chad

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle this person is holding is our 6 species blend, Phyto-Feast Live (contains live algae). Our non-viable (dead) Phyto-Feast is also a 6 species blend and isn't "good for raising nitrate and phosphate"; it's good for keeping zooplankton, certain coral types and bivalves alive, long-term. Anything alive or dead that you add to an aquarium brings phosphate and nitrate with it. Overfeeding any food to your aquarium raises phosphates and nitrates. We have a lot of respect for you guys and you do a lot for this hobby, but your comment here is misleading and doesn't convey the right message to hobbyists about our flagship product. Many, many professionals in aquaculture use our non-viable algae without issue.

Best,
Chad
Apologies Chad, as it was not my intent to mislead or insult anyone. I use the product myself as do many others, and its something I have used for some time now and one of the reasons I use it is when I want to raise Nitrate or phosphate as an intended purpose and as gently as I can without the foreign other methods I see people using. My comment wasn't at all to be a Dry underhanded comment toward you in any way shape or form. And Im sorry if you took it that way. Its just always been my go to and because its natural I am both confident in what I am using for, and comfortable because I know its pure coming from you. So once again, I apologize if you took what I said as a form or insult or a direct besmyrchment , as it was not my intent, I am just speaking from my own experience on what I use the product for.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Best,
Chad

The picture was hard to know it was live unless you looked really close. I completely missed it..

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Best,
Chad
Thank you for chiming in Chad! I'm liking the products so far and my lfs sells it for super cheap!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back