Is prazi pro safe for box fish/cow fish

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just got a box fish and I wanna do a prazi pro quarantine just to be safe. He doesn’t seem to have anything wrong with him but I would like to just make sure. Is this okay?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello! I just got a box fish and I wanna do a prazi pro quarantine just to be safe. He doesn’t seem to have anything wrong with him but I would like to just make sure. Is this okay?
It’s safe - dose at 80% of recommended dosage and add air stone to increase oxygen

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boxfish are ok with prazi, just add extra aeration and dose it twice, 8 days apart, with a 25% water change before the second dose. Remove any carbon filtration, turn off any UV and run any skimmers but don’t collect the skimmate.

That said, boxfish don’t often get flukes, but are very prone to protozoan diseases. What species do you have?

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boxfish are ok with prazi, just add extra aeration and dose it twice, 8 days apart, with a 25% water change before the second dose. Remove any carbon filtration, turn off any UV and run any skimmers but don’t collect the skimmate.

That said, boxfish don’t often get flukes, but are very prone to protozoan diseases. What species do you have?
Should I just run an off the back filter with only foam?
I don’t have a picture but this is the type.

Attachments

• 66FC5951-3476-4E2F-A769-39C1A9BE6AB8.jpeg
    66FC5951-3476-4E2F-A769-39C1A9BE6AB8.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More or less aiming to just making sure he doesn’t have anything that he can transfer to my other fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More or less aiming to just making sure he doesn’t have anything that he can transfer to my other fish
That’s a long horned cowfish. They can handle prazi fine.

I find that an air pump running an airstone is the most reliable method to oxygenate the water during prazi treatments.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should also put metroplex in his food?

That method works fine for treating flagellates in the gut of fish. In that case, it is mixed in the food at 1% by weight. You can go as high as 2%, but metro is VERY bitter, and many fish won't eat it then. Metro in the food does not readily travel through the fish's skin to treat external protozoans.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 77 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.3%
Back