Is RO really necessary?

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point. The only reason why I don't have a RODI machine is because I don't have the money :)
Yeah, I just got back into the hobby after an extended break and I delayed my build a bit so I could get a RO/DI setup and cans etc. Well worth it, especially since I'm a forgetful person and would irritate myself have to go back out haha.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally possible and quite easy. A 4 stage RODI from BRS is only around 16" wide (guessing) and comes with a nice mounting bracket you can use to attach to your 2x4 or whatever size wood you chose.
We bought premixed salt water from lfs in 4ish gallon carboys.
Used one empty for ato reservoir.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love nano fish, so totally not a bad thing for me ;Happy
Great! Check out these little guys called Trimma and Eviota gobies. They are small, hardy, and really cool little critters. Same with Tiger gobies. I have two and they are the hardiest fish I have.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I just got back into the hobby after an extended break and I delayed my build a bit so I could get a RO/DI setup and cans etc. Well worth it, especially since I'm a forgetful person and would irritate myself have to go back out haha.
Thankfully my evaporation is very little so I don't have to go out often to get water. (Plus I'm raising the nitrates and phosphates to finally beat dinoflagellates at the moment so I don't need to do water changes.)

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't use RODI water, you'll only be able to keep the heartiest of fish and even then they'll be open to lower immune systems and then disease. You could buy 5 gallon jugs of RODI water at your local water store and keep a couple on hand.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally possible and quite easy. A 4 stage RODI from BRS is only around 16" wide (guessing) and comes with a nice mounting bracket you can use to attach to your 2x4 or whatever size wood you chose.
To op:
15 x 15 x7 on self supporting bracket, $215

OP
OP
E

erinw347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I don't want to discourage you here but you should understand that saltwater is an expensive hobby. You already mentioned having a tighter budget. Before you start ripping down the tank and setting up for salt id recommend making an expense list. The auctual tank is generally not the expensive part of this hobby.
I'd figure;
Heater
Lights
Filter system (maybe hob skimmer)
Rodi unit
Rock (price per pound)
Sand
Power head(s)
Salt/water (on going expense)
Stock
Yep, I’m currently saving and this tank would be something that gets set up in a couple months at least, so I have time. The 10g is currently occupied so I still have to figure out a permanent plan for all those guys since they were never meant to be in the 10 in the first place. Luckily for filtration I have a knack for DIY-ing HOBs so hopefully that will come in handy expense wise
Great! Check out these little guys called Trimma and Eviota gobies. They are small, hardy, and really cool little critters. Same with Tiger gobies. I have two and they are the hardiest fish I have.
Yes, I’ve been researching stocking and I’m thinking about clownfish, some type of goby and some shrimp and snails. :)

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I’m currently saving and this tank would be something that gets set up in a couple months at least, so I have time. The 10g is currently occupied so I still have to figure out a permanent plan for all those guys since they were never meant to be in the 10 in the first place. Luckily for filtration I have a knack for DIY-ing HOBs so hopefully that will come in handy expense wise

Yes, I’ve been researching stocking and I’m thinking about clownfish, some type of goby and some shrimp and snails. :)
Good idea! You should totally check out pistol shrimp and shrimp gobies. Some easy ones are candy cane pistol shrimp and yellow watchman gobies. Had a pair for years, they were great.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any pics of diy hobs? I build my own tanks so now I'm just curious lol

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sry,
That posted weird and idk how to fix it

OP
OP
E

erinw347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sry,
That posted weird and idk how to fix it
Currently don’t have either of my DIYs running but I built it in a way similar to the one in this video:

Skip to around 6:00 that’s when he starts talking about the HOB if you’re interested, I basically just took apart an old TopFin HOB and replaced whole intake and the impeller

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently don’t have either of my DIYs running but I built it in a way similar to the one in this video:

Skip to around 6:00 that’s when he starts talking about the HOB if you’re interested, I basically just took apart an old TopFin HOB and replaced whole intake and the impeller

Ah, ok I was thinking you auctually built your own HOBs. A saltwater skimmer is quite a different piece of equipment. You could maybe diy one but not like that ;)
If you look up the operation you'll see what I mean.
For saltwater you want a protein skimmer not a surface skimmer.

OP
OP
E

erinw347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, ok I was thinking you auctually built your own HOBs. A saltwater skimmer is quite a different piece of equipment. You could maybe diy one but not like that ;)
If you look up the operation you'll see what I mean.
For saltwater you want a protein skimmer not a surface skimmer.
Yes I know it doesn’t work the way a protein skimmer does, that is just an example of some of the things I’ve done with HOBs before.
I should probably start another thread(s) for all of these questions, but what exactly does a protein skimmer do, and what kind of nutrients do I have to add to saltwater? I currently add calcium because I have many inverts but I know that is not quite the same

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know it doesn’t work the way a protein skimmer does, that is just an example of some of the things I’ve done with HOBs before.
I should probably start another thread(s) for all of these questions, but what exactly does a protein skimmer do, and what kind of nutrients do I have to add to saltwater? I currently add calcium because I have many inverts but I know that is not quite the same
Really simply it skims waste from your water keeping no3 and po4 from building up. It's a container (usually cylindrical) that has a pump attached. The pump pulls air and water into the skimmer in a kind of cyclone inside mixing everything up. as it mixes the air catches nutrients and waste in the water and it floats to the top as a foam where it overflows into a container for disposal. The nutrients you add to the tank are various foods depending on stock. Down the line if you keep coral you may also need to replenish other elements in the water as they are used up like alk, ca, and mg. But in a small tank this may be manageable with regular water changes.

Another thought, is you could set up the 29 and use the 10 as your sump. That would give you options for equipment later.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Protien skimmer pulls organics out of the water. It does this by foam fractionation, which means it 'distills' the organics by leveraging the effect of organics accumulating at the top of a bubble column due to increasing surface tension. The large, organic laden bubbles, eventually break over a lip to drain into a collection cup. It is a primary means of organic export in saltwater tanks.
How to add nutrients. Depending on livestock, including corals, they will use minerals in the water, Calcium and alkalinity. They can be replaced by dosing fixed amounts of solutions formulated for this purpose, referred to as 2 part. By testing for these minerals, we can adjust the dose amount.

OP
OP
E

erinw347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your help everyone. If anybody is curious, this is what I am imagining my tank looking like:
1595900737673.jpeg

Source: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/197365-diy-10gallon/

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your help everyone. If anybody is curious, this is what I am imagining my tank looking like:
1595900737673.jpeg

Source: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/197365-diy-10gallon/
Id say that's quite possible. I also feel like too many people jump onto this hobby not realizing what it takes to obtain that goal. Your definitely starting right by asking first. If you haven't yet I'd recommend watching some of the bulk reef supply videos, they have a you tube channel with tons of information. They are a supplier and out to make money but do honestly seem to try and tell you how things work and you can get some ideas where you want to invest money and what items can wait for later. There's also items equipment that's nice to have but totally optional.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd absolutely get a new heater anyway. They last about a year or two on average and a run away will likely kill the tank. The best bet long term is to run one on a separate controller, I use inkbird brand personally. Most also don't use hob filters for saltwater so I'd do some searching before getting set on that, you may find it hard to keep nutrients in check.
isnt a hob in a reef basically just polishing water, i mean live rock and a power head would do more to deal with nutrients export, i guess you could modify it to make a fuge

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back