Is Rodactis wounded or do they breed that way?

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a hole in my rhodactis. I have no idea how it could have torn at all, I haven't touched it in the last few months. I have a theory that he's trying to split, since the mouth is partially divided. Is that how he's dividing or is he really hurt? Should I split it in half with a blade? (It is night photo)

IMG_20231127_001633.jpg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m known for being able to keep easy sps, lps and softies but the ability to keep mushrooms alludes me so take anything I have to say with a grain of salt. It definitely looks like damage and I would suspect your inhabitants. Could you list your fish, inverts and the corals closest to the mushroom.

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m known for being able to keep easy sps, lps and softies but the ability to keep mushrooms alludes me so take anything I have to say with a grain of salt. It definitely looks like damage and I would suspect your inhabitants. Could you list your fish, inverts and the corals closest to the mushroom.
I have no fish and corals close around... Another question: what should i do with that wound...

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, i have few asterinas from coral store that came with corals, but I don't think that after
How about inverts?
There are snails, but I think they are all herbivorous, because I bought them for this purpose, the names I need to remember. There are a couple of species of asterines from the store that came with the corals, but for 3-4 months they have not been noticed on any trouble. This rhodactis I bought about 1-1.5 months ago, maybe it suited their taste? Of course there is a small chance that it was damaged somehow when I moved the stone.....

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, i have few asterinas from coral store that came with corals, but I don't think that after

There are snails, but I think they are all herbivorous, because I bought them for this purpose, the names I need to remember. There are a couple of species of asterines from the store that came with the corals, but for 3-4 months they have not been noticed on any trouble. This rhodactis I bought about 1-1.5 months ago, maybe it suited their taste? Of course there is a small chance that it was damaged somehow when I moved the stone.....
As i said, stone i enough sharp on this peak, soo... yes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got a hole in my rhodactis. I have no idea how it could have torn at all, I haven't touched it in the last few months. I have a theory that he's trying to split, since the mouth is partially divided. Is that how he's dividing or is he really hurt? Should I split it in half with a blade? (It is night photo)

IMG_20231127_001633.jpg
Looks to be expelling excess zooxanthellae which is their color and energy source due to too much white intensity, overfeeding or both. Add blue, less white. . . moderate water flow and feed 2x a week - mysis shrimp
Iodine and shrooms at times dont play well together

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be expelling excess zooxanthellae which is their color and energy source due to too much white intensity, overfeeding or both. Add blue, less white. . . moderate water flow and feed 2x a week - mysis shrimp
Iodine and shrooms at times dont play well together
I've had two blackouts in the last 2 months due to dinos and now the opposite I have almost no white light. How to feed him now if his mouth is literally torn open I don't understand either. I rarely feed anything through his mouth either. It really looks like just a wound. Flow is moderate

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also could you tell what is "expelling excess zooxanthellae", seemes to never heard about it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also could you tell what is "expelling excess zooxanthellae", seemes to never heard about it?
They store inner energy. When its excessive, they eliminate the excess

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two blackouts in the last 2 months due to dinos and now the opposite I have almost no white light. How to feed him now if his mouth is literally torn open I don't understand either. I rarely feed anything through his mouth either. It really looks like just a wound. Flow is moderate
Please don't attempt to feed a coral in this state.
And don't cut anything.
How long has it looked like this? How long have you had it?

If it's only been like this a day or two, just leave it and it may recover. If you want to do an iodine dip, that's fine, but other than that the less you move it the better.

This does not look like it's expelling zooxanthellae at all -- the squiggly white things near the center are actually the coral's guts, called mesenterial filaments. You sometimes see these when corals are injured, feeding, and/or irritated.

If the very center of the photo is rock sticking through the center of the coral, then it's definitely not happy.

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't attempt to feed a coral in this state.
And don't cut anything.
How long has it looked like this? How long have you had it?

If it's only been like this a day or two, just leave it and it may recover. If you want to do an iodine dip, that's fine, but other than that the less you move it the better.

This does not look like it's expelling zooxanthellae at all -- the squiggly white things near the center are actually the coral's guts, called mesenterial filaments. You sometimes see these when corals are injured, feeding, and/or irritated.

If the very center of the photo is rock sticking through the center of the coral, then it's definitely not happy.
It was about four days old. Also, yeah, it's a rock sticking out of the middle of the wound. (I've already cut it down a bit, trimmed it down so it's not so sharp and protruding). So it can heal such a big wound and I should just leave it alone?

OP
OP
itelshot

itelshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal
UPD: He did decide to split in half, just as I thought he would.
Not too puffed up yet at daytime (it`s night photo), but I think that's normal.
Just for the sake of interest, the question remains open: was this a form of breeding? If not, then what should breeding look like in rhodactis. My Discosoma usually pull a leg, cut it off and the head grows out of it.

1701758093493.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back