is something bad about to happen, 2 sick fish or a coincidence?

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare with me while i explain whats going on and hopefully someone can help.
About 6 weeks ago or more my wrasse went blind, eyes move about but bumps into everything, eyes are not cloudy. Before I came to this conclusion, he was hidden for weeks, came out every now and then and was staying at the bottom of the tank bumping into everything. He's not thin and looks in good health but I treated him him API General Cure anyway just in case. He is probably about 3-4 years old and been in the tank for nearly 2 years

My Purple Firefish/Dartfish is about 2-3 years old which is about the life span of one of these but recently in the last 3 weeks, for no reason went into hiding.. she comes out to eat but now stays at the bottom not moving much. When she swims she looks normal but she is loosing her appetite.

I haven't added anything to the tank when this all started apart from corals, which were all dipped with coral rx Pro.
Last week however, After all this started I added a blue cheek goby. the firefish was in hiding when he was introduced but since she came out they do not get along, he's constantly at her, she starting to look beaten up and weak so I placed her in qt but not dosed anything. I'm hoping some time alone and food will get her strength up.

Is this a coincidence or is something wrong? I have placed the firefish in qt but not dosed with anything. The wrasse continues to come in and out, looks fine, not sure how he's getting his food but he's doing alright.
i've uploaded a video for you to have a look and see if this looks familiar, I don't want anything spreading if it is anything at all.
thanks IMG_2758.JPG

Attachments

• New video.mp4
    94 MB

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your problems. Coral RX is really just an antiseptic, it doesn't do much to rid corals of pests/hitchikers. Blindness in fish is usually caused by a gram positive bacterial infection or flukes (of the three main types of flukes, one seems to prefer the eyes. But you'd see clouding like cataracts).
And bacterial infections are usually a secondary condition caused by some primary actor like injury, parasites, poor water quality, poor food quality.
I'm leaning to some sort of internal parasite is causing all of this. Here's a link discussing the most common pathogens and suggested treatments.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back