Is something eating my zoanthid?

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, looking for some help here. Got these 3 red bam bams 4 days ago. They looked wide open the first day but were a bit closed up the last few days. Not a big deal but it's getting worse really fast. One of them is super shriveled now. Water params are all in check and my other zoa frag has been fully open and happy.

I'm worried I could have a pest or something eating/bothering them. Tried to take some pics but nothing is jumping out at me so I'm wondering if someone here can ID something that I'm not seeing:

(sorry about extra pic at the bottom, it won't delete from the post...)

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg
IMG_2107.jpg
IMG_2106.jpg
IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2068.JPG

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the sponge that's growing around the base of the polyp I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary either.

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the sponge that's growing around the base of the polyp I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary either.

Is it normal for one polyp to randomly die off? Just seems really odd.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately yes, sometimes this will happen for unknown reasons. I've had Rastas, Blue Hornets, Darth Mauls etc look good for awhile and then just melt away. It doesn't happen very often though so that's good. GL.

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately yes, sometimes this will happen for unknown reasons. I've had Rastas, Blue Hornets, Darth Mauls etc look good for awhile and then just melt away. It doesn't happen very often though so that's good. GL.

Honestly that makes me feel better. I'd rather that happen than discover a zoanthid eating pest :)

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can do this carefully it wouldn't be such a bad idea IMO. Some sponges have been known to smother corals before. I'm not really sure if that's the case here, but it's worth a shot. GL.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back