Is stringy poop always bad?

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang has been pooping stringy since past few days but eats well and looks healthy. Also has recovered from some fin tare which occured while netting it to transfer from 42g to 130g.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stringy poop is a sure sign of intestinal parasites. You can feed it food soaked in metroplex (with focus as a binder) for 10 days, or longer if needed.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_White_ stringy poop is bad. Like, internal parasite bad. Other colors may be less bad.

When I spotted it in a regal angel, it looked like someone dynamited a sewing box; white thread uncoiling from her vent and blowing off to everywhere.

~Bruce

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_White_ stringy poop is bad. Like, internal parasite bad. Other colors may be less bad.

When I spotted it in a regal angel, it looked like someone dynamited a sewing box; white thread uncoiling from her vent and blowing off to everywhere.

~Bruce
Prazi pro wont help?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro treats external parasites, it unfortunately doesn't do anything for internal. Like @ngoodermuth said your best course of action is food soaked in metro for 10 days. Only need to feed the medicated food once a day.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, Prazipro is capable of treating a few types of intestinal worms, but not many. Metroplex is much better suited to treating intestinal worms and will work on most types.

Yeah, I was about to say. I know it does catch a few.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear, Prazipro is capable of treating a few types of intestinal worms, but not many. Metroplex is much better suited to treating intestinal worms and will work on most types.
As api general cure has prazi and metro, i used that. The fishes went nuts and started swimming in a very wierd manner , would dash itself on the glass etc. What can be the reason??

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As api general cure has prazi and metro, i used that. The fishes went nuts and started swimming in a very wierd manner , would dash itself on the glass etc. What can be the reason??

Well, when flukes die they spasm and fall off the fish. If the infestation is a big one, then the spasming can cause the fish distress... sometimes it can kill them which is why if they are heavily infested we suggest a freshwater dip before treating to get most of the flukes off first.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, when flukes die they spasm and fall off the fish. If the infestation is a big one, then the spasming can cause the fish distress... sometimes it can kill them which is why if they are heavily infested we suggest a freshwater dip before treating to get most of the flukes off first.
So stringy poop is coz of flukes?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just made new batch with hikari marine s, focus and metro and the fishes ate it, no wierd swimming. I didnt add garlic or anything, instead for blending i added a mix of frozen cyclops, roti and phyto, (which i feed weekly) so they accept the food readily. Iv noticed that in my tank, whenever i feed garlic, the fishes go nuts. I think there is something reacting in my tank with garlic, sounds wierd, but its true.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly ^
Hi, i finally dosed the entire tank with prazipro (32ml for 130g) no wierd swimming as if now. Have removed all the filter pads and carbon. Its night here. It says to redose after 5-7days. But my temperature stays between 26-27C so when do i redose? Howmany times? Also doni feed metro soaked food which i prepared?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you should redose in 5-7 days. This will be your last dose.

You can continue to feed the metro soaked food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back