• 20240425_173506.mp4
    20.3 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably Cymo andreossyi - generally not one you'd want in an aquarium, but at least somewhat beneficial in the wild:
The crab may be a Cymo sp. such as Cymo melanodactylus - they're obligate commensals with Acropora corals, and their relationship with them seems a bit mixed; they reportedly do very, very little damage to the coral, and they seem to help keep the corals healthy if the coral is diseased.
That said, there are also reports like the one linked below where the crabs may be responsible for killing coral colonies.
However, the corals dying may have been caused by a few separate things:
-Overpopulation of crabs
-Disease
-Bleaching
-Etc.

If the corals were dying for reasons unrelated to the crabs, however, then the crabs may have been trying to protect the healthy colonies by consuming the sick/dying ones.

So, the crab is essentially typically a beneficial parasite; if the coral is small or struggling in your tank, then the crab could very well kill it, but if it's large and doing well, it should be fine to keep.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back