Is the flat on bottom foundation rock a must?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how many of you do and or don’t use the foundation rock that is cut perfectly flat on the bottom to use as a bottom layer to stack your scape up on top of. In my 29 gallon and 75 gallon I never did, and at the time I did those never knew of that rock in the first place. I’m going to be doing my 310 gallon with ocean direct live sand and had people say I need to buy foundation rock to build my scape off of

What are your guys opinions of the need to use the foundation rock? Obviously there aren’t really any wrong answers. It’s a 310 planet aquarium I’m doing the aquascape in. Attached is a picture of my tank and a first attempt at trying to decide how I want the scape to look for my mixed reef

087F65E0-4824-46E0-B792-96D31CD6067E.jpeg 26B8ABDA-61AA-43C8-BCE9-B0F8A1B0C295.jpeg 08F3FD73-B8D3-4712-BB6B-98DC2CF17EB1.jpeg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never used the flat rocks. The last couple tanks I've used Caribsea Shapes. I place my rock first and make sure it's stable, then fill sand in around it. Sand shifts and id rather not have my rock sitting on something that can erode out from under it. Like building a house without a solid foundation.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little off topic, did you build that stand, its looks sharp, or did you buy it from somewhere.....
Thanks! I built it. Made it out of 2x6’s and 4x4’s mostly, the doors were are pieces of frosted acrylic from Home Depot screwed into the backside of the door trim. If you click on my build thread icon near my name it’ll take you to my build thread where I should have several pics of it when I was in the process of building it.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on hte stand -
i use flatbottom when i have it and the build calls for it but also have plenty of examples where pistol shrimp, jawfish etc have appreciated a base rock with room to move under it. So use it if you got it - your scape looks very fish friendly. - like it

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use flat bottom rocks only when the scape is using a lot of "branches" or overhangs that need a solid foundation (like a lot of the NSA scapes). My current build has three small flat bottom rocks, but those are the only points that touch the bottom.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used it, simply because i have it...

Not necessary, all u need if few flat points that rock stay stable and dont sway....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back