is the GHL ProfiLux 4e worth it? Compared to Apex El long term?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im trying to decide do i want to 4E or a APex EL. Now i know the EL comes with the eb832, and gives me trident access, which is alluring, but ultimately i can hand test weekly i possess the time and energy needed etc, but im looking for a monitor first, then control of a few items both in the home and remotely. Can GHL do anything with Alexa as well? Also alluring to be able to ask for the daily report...

I want to control my heaters, i want to kill and delay my skimmer for feed mode or power outage, i want to do a few other things etc. Thoughts?

RIght now on my list of ideas for control are:

Apex EL
GHL PROFILUX 4e and additional power bar purchase
Reef Angel

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know enough about Reef Angel to speak to it.

For what you have mentioned wanting to do; either Neptune or GHL system will meet your needs. Both are expandable and give control options right out of the gate. Even a used Classic or Profilux Mini may be suitable. Another option I would recommend thinking about is the upcoming Coralvue Hydros and its attractive pricepoint.

I have seen videos of GHL working with Google Home, but that is still in beta and tinkering phases at this point. I receive an email 4x a day (user frequency set) with tank parameters to give me a snapshot of tank stats.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know enough about Reef Angel to speak to it.

For what you have mentioned wanting to do; either Neptune or GHL system will meet your needs. Both are expandable and give control options right out of the gate. Even a used Classic or Profilux Mini may be suitable. Another option I would recommend thinking about is the upcoming Coralvue Hydros and its attractive pricepoint.

I have seen videos of GHL working with Google Home, but that is still in beta and tinkering phases at this point. I receive an email 4x a day (user frequency set) with tank parameters to give me a snapshot of tank stats.
Hydros is also on that list for sure. The only thing i get extra with Neptune, is the Trident.... but idk..

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also in the same boat as you. Looking for a controller, I can't decide if I want to go with an Apex or GHL. I'll have to look at Hydro's controller as well now.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question is about Long Term. Yes in the long term the GHL would be my pick. While it is not as easy to use out of the box as the Apex, it is easy to use once you spend the time to learn how to program it. This may take a few hours or days depending on how computer savvy you are. While the Apex would probably take a couple of hours for just about anybody to figure out.

The GHL Profilux 4 is made to a higher quality standard and that is why it is more expensive. You will most likely have a lot less hardware issues over the long term with the GHL and almost no software crashes or glitches. Overall I would expect the GHL system to last a lot longer and be much more reliable.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question is about Long Term. Yes in the long term the GHL would be my pick. While it is not as easy to use out of the box as the Apex, it is easy to use once you spend the time to learn how to program it. This may take a few hours or days depending on how computer savvy you are. While the Apex would probably take a couple of hours for just about anybody to figure out.

The GHL Profilux 4 is made to a higher quality standard and that is why it is more expensive. You will most likely have a lot less hardware issues over the long term with the GHL and almost no software crashes or glitches. Overall I would expect the GHL system to last a lot longer and be much more reliable.
im an IT guy by day, so im always into research and learning etc. I was ultimately looking at Reef Angel, but then got digging and turned on to GHL.

To me Apex is the easy route, drive an hour to a dealer, walk out with an EL, and ask for a trident for Christmas, but this tank is to be my ultimate showpiece in the main living area, and stand space is at a premium. Ultimately im not after full tank control either. Id like it to tell me " hey moron your heater is broken shall we shut it off" or "hey guy your ato container needs to be filled when you get home.

One thing i liked about apex is alexa integration, but again i dont need it, its a nice thing to have really. im pretty involved with my tanks usually, so im not really looking for all that much, but something i can grow into.

What Model GHL is the best to start with?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im an IT guy by day, so im always into research and learning etc. I was ultimately looking at Reef Angel, but then got digging and turned on to GHL.

To me Apex is the easy route, drive an hour to a dealer, walk out with an EL, and ask for a trident for Christmas, but this tank is to be my ultimate showpiece in the main living area, and stand space is at a premium. Ultimately im not after full tank control either. Id like it to tell me " hey moron your heater is broken shall we shut it off" or "hey guy your ato container needs to be filled when you get home.

One thing i liked about apex is alexa integration, but again i dont need it, its a nice thing to have really. im pretty involved with my tanks usually, so im not really looking for all that much, but something i can grow into.

What Model GHL is the best to start with?

If you can afford it just get the Profilux 4 Mega set for $880. You really only get one shot at saving a bit of cash on these systems and it comes when you buy the package sets. The Mega set will give you Temp, pH, ORP and Salinity probes and one 6 plug Power bar. I really don't get why the Ultimate set is $300 more just for the touch screen, that is why I would get the Mega Set.

You will have plenty of space left to grow with this system as I am pretty sure you will soon want another power bar and some leak detectors and Maybe even a KH and ION Director.

Vinny at GHL is a pretty nice guy to deal with and they have a lot of videos on YouTube to help setup the system.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford it just get the Profilux 4 Mega set for $880. You really only get one shot at saving a bit of cash on these systems and it comes when you buy the package sets. The Mega set will give you Temp, pH, ORP and Salinity probes and one 6 plug Power bar. I really don't get why the Ultimate set is $300 more just for the touch screen, that is why I would get the Mega Set.

You will have plenty of space left to grow with this system as I am pretty sure you will soon want another power bar and some leak detectors and Maybe even a KH and ION Director.

Vinny at GHL is a pretty nice guy to deal with and they have a lot of videos on YouTube to help setup the system.
Now ive heard horror stories on ORP and salinity probes from Apex and others. Can these actually be trusted? Heck even BRS says to buy the EL and forgo the salinity and ORP. Also what can i really use ORP for if im not running ozone? Just curious at this point.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now ive heard horror stories on ORP and salinity probes from Apex and others. Can these actually be trusted? Heck even BRS says to buy the EL and forgo the salinity and ORP. Also what can i really use ORP for if im not running ozone? Just curious at this point.

Yeah Neptune has a problem with several of their probes but the really bad one is Salinity.
ORP is pretty much useless for most things other than controlling a Ozone generator. Some people like to have ORP because it is a kind of a general indicator of your water quality, much like how a pH probe can give you a rough idea of what is going on with your ALK.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Neptune has a problem with several of their probes but the really bad one is Salinity.
ORP is pretty much useless for most things other than controlling a Ozone generator. Some people like to have ORP because it is a kind of a general indicator of your water quality, much like how a pH probe can give you a rough idea of what is going on with your ALK.
Ah ok, yea i wont be running Ozone, at least i don't think i would, i haven't done enough research on it really. I have whole house ozone for our air, but haven't done much research into what it does within a reef. I just didn't want to end up paying for probes and such i wouldn't use, or were not trust able like the apex ones.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity probe will drift over time, but trustworthy. The ORP prob is meh for our use, but can be changed to a second pH probe for a calcium reactor or other use.

The other plus to the GHL brand is that the Profilux, 2.1 doser, KHD, and IOND are all the same form factor and stackable. The controller itself can handle 4 sensors out of the box and 6 1-10V devices. Expansion can be through 2 add-on card slots or a remote box depending on needs.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity probe will drift over time, but trustworthy. The ORP prob is meh for our use, but can be changed to a second pH probe for a calcium reactor or other use.

The other plus to the GHL brand is that the Profilux, 2.1 doser, KHD, and IOND are all the same form factor and stackable. The controller itself can handle 4 sensors out of the box and 6 1-10V devices. Expansion can be through 2 add-on card slots or a remote box depending on needs.
Ill be using a Jebao doser at first, as i have it on hand, but i really like the idea of being able to add on as i want and or can afford to.

Back