Is the Kessil A80 good enough to host SPS corals.

  • Thread starter Thread starter alfieh0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

alfieh0

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2019
Messages
77
Reaction score
37
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm looking into getting a light for SPS corals, as my current one isn't enough to host any corals. I have a 10 gallon tank, 10" deep, 24" long. I would prefer a light which is fanless, as my tank is in a bedroom, and is currently silent, i don't want a fan ruining that. Anyone who has a Kessil A80 light or knows about it, would this light be efficient enough to host corals, SPS included in my 10 gallon.

Any responses are appreciated.
 
Hi everyone, I'm looking into getting a light for SPS corals, as my current one isn't enough to host any corals. I have a 10 gallon tank, 10" deep, 24" long. I would prefer a light which is fanless, as my tank is in a bedroom, and is currently silent, i don't want a fan ruining that. Anyone who has a Kessil A80 light or knows about it, would this light be efficient enough to host corals, SPS included in my 10 gallon.

Any responses are appreciated.
I have the A80 on a 10 gallon coral QT tank. It is not a really strong light. With my single light mounted with the mounting arm I am able to get par in the 200s but only at the top of the tank. For the 24 inch long tank if you want to go with the A80 I would suggest getting two of them. You will be able to grow SPS in the op of the water column but the light may limit the types of SPS and the growth rate you are able to achieve. The AI Prime may be a better option. I spoke with the folks at BRS asking them about the lack of being able to get PAR from the A80 and they said they generally only recommend the light for very small soft and LPS tanks.
 
The A80 is like 15 watts. What do you expect.

Used 160 .....lots of those for sale. AI prime or any black box. Fans though....
 
I tend to agree. I own four (4) Tuna Blue 80’s, and I love them. However they are not real powerful. Great for softies, and certain other ‘easy’ corals (Candy Cane, etc) in a shallow tank; I notice your tank is only 10” deep, so that’s good. But at about 18 watts, they can’t go deep with any significant par.

1EBFEDC5-EF2B-46C9-8F00-0DD419B56A95.jpeg
1CFE28CD-828C-4874-8AFE-5AD4C5ED9DCB.jpeg
 
I just started an Innovative Marine 20-gallon last week... about 12” of water deep, and I’m using two A80s on it. Again, mostly softies.
265CF56B-61D7-44AF-88CE-B16FBABB2C65.jpeg
 
I had 4 a80s and 4 t5s on a 65 gal 36" x 18" x 25" sps dominant tank. Great shimmer.

You'll need 2 or 3 a80s on a 24" long tank. They're not especially strong, but on a 10" deep tank they'll do the job for sure.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new