Is the most up to date apex from 2016?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Is the most current version of the Neptune Apex really from 2016? Considering an upgrade-- but man-- it's 2022...buying 2016 technology does not sit well with me.

WDYT? Any rumors of a new version in the works? Or am I missing something?

Chris.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi Reefers,

Is the most current version of the Neptune Apex really from 2016? Considering an upgrade-- but man-- it's 2022...buying 2016 technology does not sit well with me.

WDYT? Any rumors of a new version in the works? Or am I missing something?

Chris.
Without a pic… can’t see your unit but 2016 is the version . Not year of unit and the newest version

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the 2016 version is the newest full version. It’s just that there hasn’t been any major upgrades since the initial release, and I for one am glad.
I see your point about buying older technology, but I really don’t want to have to replace my apex every few years to get the newest version and features. The longer they go without a major upgrade the better IMHO.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an apex/trident/2x DOS combo, then added the VDM module to control 2x Tunze 6040's. Hands down, the best purchase I've made for my tank.
Yes the 2016 version is the newest full version. It’s just that there hasn’t been any major upgrades since the initial release, and I for one am glad.
I see your point about buying older technology, but I really don’t want to have to replace my apex every few years to get the newest version and features. The longer they go without a major upgrade the better IMHO.
I've been using them since a few months after the first apex came out (2010?). Mine are what is now called the "classic" model, and I absolutely love the apex.

I've gotten my moneys worth, that's for sure-- but one of mine is on the fritz and I think it may be time for me to buy a new one. I've been using the very outdated version, which was essentially made obsolete in 2016 when the current version came out. I don't think these should be an item that's updated every few years, but I am a bit hesitant to replace my 12 year old unit with a unit that hasn't had a technology upgrade in 6 years.

I was hoping to hear that I was mistaken, and that there was a new version released more recently. I love my old ones, but I would feel a little bummed out if I finally replaced them after 12 years only to buy a model that was soon to be phased out.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using them since a few months after the first apex came out (2010?). Mine are what is now called the "classic" model, and I absolutely love the apex.

I've gotten my moneys worth, that's for sure-- but one of mine is on the fritz and I think it may be time for me to buy a new one. I've been using the very outdated version, which was essentially made obsolete in 2016 when the current version came out. I don't think these should be an item that's updated every few years, but I am a bit hesitant to replace my 12 year old unit with a unit that hasn't had a technology upgrade in 6 years.

I was hoping to hear that I was mistaken, and that there was a new version released more recently. I love my old ones, but I would feel a little bummed out if I finally replaced them after 12 years only to buy a model that was soon to be phased out.

It isn't being phased out. No idea what makes you think so. On the other hand nothing has been said about anything new coming out. Even if so it isn't going to make the current one obsolete.

Do you have any idea when the GHL ProfiLux 4 launched?

Edit: if you are shopping for a controller be it GHL, Neptune, Hydros, or even open source you should have a list of requirements to make your purchase safer. Market shows what is out today. You have to make that decision or ride it out. They are not necessary for success so you have that going for you.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feel a little bummed out if I finally replaced them after 12 years only to buy a model that was soon to be phased out.

So let's say they come out with a new model next year or two.

Would you immediately jump on it? Or would you give it some time for the kinks to get worked out? If it didn't have all the functionality you require (but it's announced it will in the future) -- how much additional time do you expect that to take? Realistically, how soon after release would you be comfortable buying it? And given the supply chain issues we've seen globally, how soon do you think you could even source one to buy, after you've made the decision?

For me, jumping into a product ecosystem in the middle -- or even tail end -- of it's lifecycle makes sense. Bugs have been worked out, idiosyncrasies are well-known, and accessory choices are developed and available (both new and used).

There's still years of life left in this current iteration of the Apex, even if a new hardware version is announced

. That said, this is from the latest firmware release in February:
The change in how Apexes communicate with Fusion corresponds with enhancements which have been already been made to the Fusion architecture and to support upcoming system changes.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my old ones, but I would feel a little bummed out if I finally replaced them after 12 years only to buy a model that was soon to be phased out.
I do agree with this. If I were to buy a new piece of equipment only to find out that a newer version was announced soon after I would be unhappy about it too.

I’m guessing that whenever a new version get released it will only get announced right before it’s released. Unfortunately afaik there is no way to know, so it’s a gamble as to when a newer version will come out.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let's say they come out with a new model next year or two.

Would you immediately jump on it? Or would you give it some time for the kinks to get worked out? If it didn't have all the functionality you require (but it's announced it will in the future) -- how much additional time do you expect that to take? Realistically, how soon after release would you be comfortable buying it? And given the supply chain issues we've seen globally, how soon do you think you could even source one to buy, after you've made the decision?

For me, jumping into a product ecosystem in the middle -- or even tail end -- of it's lifecycle makes sense. Bugs have been worked out, idiosyncrasies are well-known, and accessory choices are developed and available (both new and used).

There's still years of life left in this current iteration of the Apex. That said, this is from the latest firmware release in February:
You make some great points. I do see threads fairly frequently that claim the salinity monitoring is not great on the current generation apex, and I was hoping that some of these issues would be ironed out in an improved release. And who knows what useful features could be in the future. Additional automated testing options come to mind. I've been using a "good enough" classic apex for a very long time (which HAS been good enough for my uses).

Since this isn't my first jump into the ecosystem, I'm not super jazzed about buying in at the end of a life cycle. Once a new system is announced, I might still choose to go with the 2016 version, but then I would be able to buy one used at a considerable discount and with knowledge of what I wasn't getting. As for the potential new features and add-ons -- I don't plan to use them now. But I want a controller that I can used for the next 10 years, like my current apex systems. That's why I am less interested in buying at the end of a lifecycle.

It's interesting that they mention "support upcoming system changes."

I guess one can never know when an upgrade is coming. I might be able to repair my current models to get me through another year or two, so there is that.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess one can never know when an upgrade is coming.

Sure we can. They announce upgrades about a week after we decide to buy what's currently available.

Seriously though, the salinity monitoring is one of those idiosyncrasies I mentioned. It seems to work fine overall, but the calibration requires some optimization effort that isn't exactly spelled out in documentation.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't being phased out. No idea what makes you think so. On the other hand nothing has been said about anything new coming out. Even if so it isn't going to make the current one obsolete.

Do you have any idea when the GHL ProfiLux 4 launched?

Edit: if you are shopping for a controller be it GHL, Neptune, Hydros, or even open source you should have a list of requirements to make your purchase safer. Market shows what is out today. You have to make that decision or ride it out. They are not necessary for success so you have that going for you.
If we were talking about cell phones (by year released), my current controller is equivalent to an iphone 3, the version that everyone has now is equivalent to an iphone 6. Buying 2016 technology in 2022 seems unwise.

WRT controllers being unnecessary, sure, they are not necessary for success. I had successful reef tanks from 1997 to 2008 before I got my first controller. I've run them on every tank since 2008 and I have no desire to ever run a tank without one again.

Since I'm in the hobby for the long haul, I prefer to avoid buying technology at the end of an upgrade cycle. It might not matter for someone who was going to disappear after their first power outage, but that isn't me.

Last edited:

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that the truth!? Gah makes me want to fix my current controller and ride it out.

Can't wait for your "My original Apex turned 47" post in 30 years or so. We can all reminisce about how you almost upgraded that one time :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we were talking about cell phones (by year released), my current controller is equivalent to an iphone 3, the version that everyone has now is equivalent to an iphone 6. Buying 2016 technology in 2022 seems unwise.

WRT controllers being unnecessary, sure, they are not necessary for success. I had successful reef tanks from 1997 to 2008 before I got my first controller. I've run them on every tank since 2008 and I have no desire to ever run a tank without one again.

Since I'm in the hobby for the long haul, I prefer to avoid buying technology at the end of an upgrade cycle. It might not matter for someone who was going to disappear after their first power outage, but that isn't me.

Then don't buy it. It is as simple as that. If you want the latest then Hyrdros is it. GHL and the Apex are older. Or wait. Then again you may be waiting for who knows how long.

I'm still using my skimmer I purchased in 1999. Go figure.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got many years of service from your old legacy controller that you currently have, and yet you still have second thoughts with getting the newer model from that company. If you get 12 or more years out of a new head unit, then I think thats a good upgrade.

Here are my thoughts on the APEX to look at this from a different view than you currently do.

I actually had their initial controller then upgraded to the legacy and rode that thing out till the saltwater eroded the head unit out. I sent it in to get fixed and they had a program where if they couldn't fix it...then they would give you discount replacement price. Unfortunately, at that time they no longer made them. So I just had to buy a new 2016 head unit on sale. Not sure they offer those now.

Lets face it. That is great when a company lets legacy users upgrade their product by buying just a head unit. you can keep all your old stuff and its completely compatible. Apex has been around for long time and they stand by their products and it seems like they try to keep all generation of users on the same playing field as far as interoperability and functionality. Its kind of "If its not broken, then dont fix it". They have come out with lots of new stuff for the APEX since 2016, and everything always hooks up to their head unit. No need to go buy a "2022 Model" to hook up their new "XYZ"., and have to shell out dollars and dollars just for the latest and greatest attachment.

Well anyway. Thats my take. You got me thinking about my Energy bars on my display. They are older than your head unit and they are still going strong.

As some one said. The newest one out is probably the CoralVue hydros in 2019. You may want to give that a try, if you just like to have the shinny new thing on the block as far as a head unit. I think it will be more of an investment as you will have to scrap some of your old equipment as I'm sure it will not be compatible outside of a probe I would think. If you do go that route. It would be interesting to see a review of the legacy Apex to the CoralVue hydros in your eyes to see which one you like the best. The 12 year work horse or the new one. Keeps us updated on the decision.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One upgrade I’d love to see — which is totally separate than their hardware and should absolutely be feasible — is persistent data storage.

hell, I’d even pay a few bucks a month for the service. I just want access to my data.

Having to set up a separate Linux box running a TIG stack (or pulling into excel, or any other home brew solution) shouldn’t be necessary for me to see historical data past a week. Not in 2022. (And I haven’t even figured out how to capture everything I want, yet).

though tbf, I already had a Linux box running to capture and log personal weather station data, so it was just a matter of installing and configuring the stack. But still…

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back