Is there a magnesium that can be mixed with trace elements?

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalk and looking to automate small mag and trace additions and would like to do this off a single pump. Is this possible? Anybody doing this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean all together, you cannot mix magnesium into kalkwasser, whether there are other elements there or not. Magnesium hydroxide will immediately precipitate as it is quite insoluble.

You likely can mix a normal magnesium supplement into many trace element mixes. Do you have one in mind?

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean all together, you cannot mix magnesium into kalkwasser, whether there are other elements there or not. Magnesium hydroxide will immediately precipitate as it is quite insoluble.

You likely can mix a normal magnesium supplement into many trace element mixes. Do you have one in mind?
I don’t want to mix mag with kalk, I know that’s a no no. Was thinking mixing mag with ESV transition elements.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to mix mag with kalk, I know that’s a no no. Was thinking mixing mag with ESV transition elements.

I cannot really tell what is in it, but it's worth a try. If you get any precipitate, it's a no go.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_5298.jpeg
    IMG_5298.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok back to playing mad scientist- next question hopefully I’m not bothering @Randy Holmes-Farley too much, been going down a rabbit hole lately of research.

Can I mix ESV Magnesium and ESV B-Ionic Calcium portion of their 2 part? Looking to boost some magnesium going into my tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok back to playing mad scientist- next question hopefully I’m not bothering @Randy Holmes-Farley too much, been going down a rabbit hole lately of research.

Can I mix ESV Magnesium and ESV B-Ionic Calcium portion of their 2 part? Looking to boost some magnesium going into my tank.

Maybe not. My expectation is that there is too much sulfate in the magnesium to add very much to the calcium. Calcium sulfate has limited solubility.

A small amount is probably ok.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not. My expectation is that there is too much sulfate in the magnesium to add very much to the calcium. Calcium sulfate has limited solubility.

A small amount is probably ok.
yea it was a no-go! Turned white within a couple mins. Thanks as always

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back