Chemistry question in dosing elements

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,
My dosometric pump has four channels: I use one for calcium, one for KH, one for carbo and in the last channel, since I had no others, I put all together a solution of Multi elements A+ Multi elements B (fauna marin) and an integration of NO3. I noticed there was no precipitation and I started to dose.
My question is: is this solution harmful for the tank? I guess if fauna marin keeps the trace elements in two different bottles there must be a reason….
Is NO3 fine together with the trace elements or better to put carbo with them?
Thanks for your help

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in channel 3? Carbo?

A sodium or potassium (not calcium) nitrate solution should be ok with most any trace element mix. Combining solutions that manufacturers separate seems more potentially problematic to me.

OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes in channel 3 I have carbo. Would that be ok to be mixed with trace elements?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes in channel 3 I have carbo. Would that be ok to be mixed with trace elements?

Still confused. Do you mean Tropic Marin carbo-calcium? If that is what you mean, then you can put some trace elements in it,

OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s Carbo from another brand: Continuum reef microfluel (Continuum acquatics). The label says it’s organic carbo

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing what exactly it is, I'd be reluctant to put trace elements into it. It might encourage bacterial growth in it, especially if you dilute it for dosing. If it is acidic (from containing acetic acid, for example), it might also change the solubility of some trace elements.

OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing what exactly it is, I'd be reluctant to put trace elements into it. It might encourage bacterial growth in it, especially if you dilute it for dosing. If it is acidic (from containing acetic acid, for example), it might also change the solubility of some trace elements.
Understood….
Sometimes I’m thinking to switch to NP bacto balance (Tropic marin). This should contain N, P, carbo and trace elements, so many things in one single channel of the dosometric pump….
But first I would like to finish the products I already have, and secondly NP Bacto balance containes also phophates and I’m already at 0,1 ppm, I wouldn’t like to increase them more. I guess this is the problem to dose “all-in one” type products, maybe the do not perfectly fit for your case. Better to dose single elements, but than you would need too many dosometric pumps

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back