Is there a such thing as pH too high?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jcates
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jcates

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 1, 2020
Messages
237
Reaction score
151
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have a unicorn of a situation but is there a such thing as pH too high? Mine is consistently 8.2-8.4 but I've been it as high as 8.5-8.6. Monitored through apex as well as KHG so I don't think it's an issue with a probe for them both to be consistent with each other.

I know I've seen plenty on low pH but never much of anything on high. I also haven't really noticed any issues but when I set up a new apex I notice the pH alarm was set on the high at 8.4 so it get me wondering
 
pH can be too high, but won't get there without high pH additives. IMO, pH 8.6 is pushing things from a precipitation perspective, but I also suspect it is not accurate unless you use lots of very high pH additives.

If it is high, more aeration will bring it down.

This has more:

http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/
 
Thanks for the article. It was an interesting read I never knew that there was a between alk and pH.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new