Is there a true yellow Goni strain out there?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided after staring at my tank tonight that I could use some yellow in the Goni garden. Been curious if there's an actually yellow Goni variety out there, because a lot of the ones I have seen labeled as such seem to be a bright green, if anything. Such is the struggle of looking for corals online! Thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaSD has nick’s Goni and another one that look yellow. I have not seen them in person so they might be green, ?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen ones close to yellow but they were under a lot of blue leds. Didnt seem worth it if i had to stare at a super blue tank. Hoping that there are some that are better out there

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to find a true yellow goni unsuccessfully. The ones closest to yellow that I have bought have been bleached, dying corals. The closest I have to a true yellow is "Nick's God Send Goni" from Aqua SD which is more of a fluorescent greenish-yellow rather than a true yellow. It was healthy and I have had it almost a year but it seems to grow very slowly and I'm not sure if it is a regular offering.

TCK "Fireballz" goni does have polyp tips which are closer to a true yellow (stalks are reddish brown). I have had that one 1-2 years and it is a moderate grower and seems robust for a goniopora.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I tend to see what people are describing here- bright green gonis that border on a highlighter-esque green/yellow, but nothing that's distinctly yellow. Part of the trouble is that pictures will always be a little different than the the look of the real coral too.

I actually picked up what was sold to me as a TCK FIreballz, but the stalks look pink instead of the reddish color so I assume it was mislabeled. Doesn't really bother me though, honestly. I'd even be open to an ombre yellow, but just doesn't seem like there's anything that I can find at least!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a true yellow goni at a local swap last fall. I'd post a picture, but after 6 months it finally faded away to nothing and I threw the skeleton out yesterday. It never actually opened in my tank in the 6 months that it took to fade away. :(

It was very obviously yellow, though. I had it in a garden with a TG Miss Piggy and a yellow/green Highlighter, so I know the yellowish green you're talking about. This was NOT that.

I contacted the guy about trying again (swap coming up next weekend), but he doesn't have it anymore either.

jbannick22586

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are out there. Picked this up from a LFS in Denver. True mustard yellow!!
PXL_20230323_164353242.jpg
PXL_20230323_164249616.jpg

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful collection-I hope the yellow holds its color for you.
They are out there. Picked this up from a LFS in Denver. True mustard yellow!!
PXL_20230323_164353242.jpg
PXL_20230323_164249616.jpg

Beautiful collection-I hope the yellow holds its color for you.

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want it really bad but I think I’ve got to pass this sale, so I’ll pass this to you guys. ARC’s having their 16th anniversary sale this weekend - see the banner at the top of R2R. They posted pictures of a yellow Goni today and judging by the pictures of all their corals their editing is minimal.

Now that's what I'm talking about! None of this pastel yellow or bright green-yellow varieties, that's a proper yellow Goni! Any idea what the trade name for it is?

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's what I'm talking about! None of this pastel yellow or bright green-yellow varieties, that's a proper yellow Goni! Any idea what the trade name for it is?
I don’t - jump in the thread and ask! Check the recent pages, there’s a @CodyBot game where you’ve got a decent chance at winning a $50 gift card tomorrow, and multiple gift cards being given away via games all weekend

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The little one in the middle is true yellow in person and has bluetips...some call it sponge Bob.

I believe Seattlecoral.com has some in stock at the moment.
20230205_111729.jpg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping this guy takes off been trying to get him dialed in but i would say for sure yellow.
20230121_133039.jpg

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I want it really bad but I think I’ve got to pass this sale, so I’ll pass this to you guys. ARC’s having their 16th anniversary sale this weekend - see the banner at the top of R2R. They posted pictures of a yellow Goni today and judging by the pictures of all their corals their editing is minimal.

I'm not part of the picture taking/editing process, but if I had to guess based off of my own editing knowledge, there are indeed minimal edits being made. I can pick those out a mile away and ARC doesn't seem to do them like some do. Also, this is based off the fact that I own some of the corals they sell and the real life looks pretty close to the pics, which is nice!

And yeah, that yellow goni caught my eye too. It's tough always being around for these live sales. I see so many gorgeous pieces and it's hard not to buy all of them!!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back