Is there a way to test DKH level of Randy’s recipe #1 ?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as the title says. Is there a test that can be performed with hannas alk tester or any other test kits to check and see if the DIY alk recipe is within specs?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to find it. Do you know what the accurate dilution is?

This is what I did, you need access to accurate measuring (lab equipment) but the weakest link is the Hanna alk reader, although when I did this I got it exact which was honestly surprising.

1. make the solution per the recipe.

2. Take a reading of alk with Hanna of new made salt water. Take note of reading. Must be lower than 14 dkh*

3. Fill beaker/jug with exactly 1L of step 2 saltwater.

4. Add precisely 1mL of solution (step 1) to the 1L of step 2. Must be precise as possible. Need to use micro pipette or serological pipette. Mix thoroughly.

5. determine increase of alkalinity in dkh.

6. math

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did, you need access to accurate measuring (lab equipment) but the weakest link is the Hanna alk reader, although when I did this I got it exact which was honestly surprising.

1. make the solution per the recipe.

2. Take a reading of alk with Hanna of new made salt water. Take note of reading. Must be lower than 14 dkh*

3. Fill beaker/jug with exactly 1L of step 2 saltwater.

4. Add precisely 1mL of solution (step 1) to the 1L of step 2. Must be precise as possible. Need to use micro pipette or serological pipette. Mix thoroughly.

5. determine increase of alkalinity in dkh.

6. math
Cool, this is an extremely helpful push in the right direction, thank you. I was hoping that someone already did the brainy parts but this gets some ideas goin. CHEERS!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, this is an extremely helpful push in the right direction, thank you. I was hoping that someone already did the brainy parts but this gets some ideas goin. CHEERS!

The point is that everyone’s solution is going to be different, depending on how the drying goes, how much you lose ect. Do be exact everyone has to do this method to know what their true solution is. Not one person can do this and tell you the answer. If you do the work I’ll do the math ;)

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just follow instructions to make it,test your DKH see what it is then use the reef dosing calculator,say it’s 8.2 does enuff to 8.5 and just test it a bit later

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is that everyone’s solution is going to be different, depending on how the drying goes, how much you lose ect. Do be exact everyone has to do this method to know what their true solution is. Not one person can do this and tell you the answer. If you do the work I’ll do the math ;)
Yes sir, I totally get this. I just am ignorant into which method to take. The making a liter of fresh sea water and going through your process makes complete sense. Just needed that push. Thank you.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just follow instructions to make it,test your DKH see what it is then use the reef dosing calculator,say it’s 8.2 does enuff to 8.5 and just test it a bit later
I only ask because I made Randy’s recipe over the weekend and I wanted to see how far I boogered it. I thought there’d be a “mix with 10ml of RODI add 3 drops say the magic words” and poof reading.

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Info is something you find in order to DO what needs to be done. I didn’t know where to start. This is why forums exist.
i realize a lot gets lost in the translation of text so i may be reading your replies wrong, but it seems to me, you got the correct answer, you're just too lazy to actually do it....

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i realize a lot gets lost in the translation of text so i may be reading your replies wrong, but it seems to me, you got the correct answer, you're just too lazy to actually do it....
Lost in translation, I’ll take. Lazy, not so much. Just didn’t see a start to the means. At this point it just seems easier to make recipes and test to learn dose curve. I’m willing to put in the work, just get stuck on logistics at times. No harm no foul.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 56 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back