Is there an in depth guide to setting up an "other methods" tank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my 210g display and was decided on going full Triton method but the more I think about it the more I start learning towards other methods with a calcium reactor and a chaeto reactor plumbed off the cow line to both increase growth as well as counter the normally lowered ph.

How do you balance the main elements provided by the ca rx and from the 4 part dosing?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my 210g display and was decided on going full Triton method but the more I think about it the more I start learning towards other methods with a calcium reactor and a chaeto reactor plumbed off the cow line to both increase growth as well as counter the normally lowered ph.

How do you balance the main elements provided by the ca rx and from the 4 part dosing?

There can be no guide for triton "other methods" because it's just a version of their supplement line for people not running full triton. It's just classic balling essentially. You can use any form of filtration/nutrient export/water changes you want. The only difference between triton core7 triton method and triton core7 other methods is that the other methods doesn't contain extra amounts of algae growing elements, so it's designed for people that don't use a 10% or larger refugium.

Many people use an arid reactor with normal triton, so that alone would not exclude you from using the triton method version as long as it's big enough.

Why do you want to run a calcium reactor and balling at the same time?

Last edited:
OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There can be no guide for triton "other methods" because it's just a version of their supplement line for people not running full triton. It's just classic balling essentially. You can use any form of filtration/nutrient export/water changes you want. The only difference between triton core7 triton method and triton core7 other methods is that the other methods doesn't contain extra amounts of algae growing elements, so it's designed for people that don't use a 10% or larger refugium.

Many people use an arid reactor with normal triton, so that alone would not exclude you from using the triton method version as long as it's big enough.

Why do you want to run a calcium reactor and balling at the same time?
Main concern is the cost of triton supplements as the only source in a 210g sps system.

I'm probably going to stick with the plan and start off full triton and then as the tank matures I can look into supplementing with a calcium reactor as the tank matures.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back