Is there an ULR Phosphate/Phosphorous test that isn't based on jenky packets of powder?

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about anyone else, but I really strongly dislike (and other 4 letter words) using test kits that require you to carefully get all the powder out of little packet for testing. I'm currently using the Hanna ULR PO4 test and I absolutely hate using it because of that. My hands are somewhat shaky and I always feel like I never get all of the powder out, or spill a little bit.

One idea that came to mind - has anyone thought of just emptying the contents of all the packets into another small container and using a small scoop from another test kit to get consistent amounts of the reagent added? I know the amounts would need to be measured initially to make sure the scoop is the proper size, but it seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier than screwing with a packet every time you test.

If there is a liquid reagent based test I'd be willing to pay 2-3 times the price to just never have to deal with the packets again lol.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many of us are with you, I hate those little packets! You could buy yourself one of those tiny glass lab funnels on ebay or Amazon, that might help keep you from spilling the powder. I have some that I use mixing Ceramic coating, sort of like these; clicky

Thanks for the tip on the glass funnels! It seems like the powder wouldn't stick to those like it might on plastic. May have to give those a try.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome, it's what I've thought of using but the ones I have on hand have had plenty of nasty chemicals run through them and though they're glass and probably sterile I'd rather start with new just to be safe. I think the powder won't stick as long as it's clean and dry, should pass right through especially if you give her a few taps. Good luck, let us know how it works for you.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that link has the funnels with a longer stem on them than mine has, I'd search for one/s with a short stem on them, they're out there.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't understand why people have so much trouble with these. If you shake it, then cut along the lines, then fold it (hard to describe), it creates a perfect funnel and gets everything.

I wouldn't be opposed to having another LR test, just my thoughts on the matter.

EDIT: Like this!

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't understand why people have so much trouble with these. If you shake it, then cut along the lines, then fold it (hard to describe), it creates a perfect funnel and gets everything.

I wouldn't be opposed to having another LR test, just my thoughts on the matter.

That's how I normally do it, or dump it on a piece of paper and make a makeshift funnel lol. I'm just sayin it triggers me when I do a super simple round of testing for salinity, Alk, NO3, pH, and then get to PO4 ;Dead

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do it that way as well but like the op said not everyone has a steady hand due to many reasons.

And admit it.. lol.. who hasn't spilled at least some of those?

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're a young Whipper Snapper aren't ya! ;) Wait until age catches up with you then you'll understand.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha touché
I remember my parents telling me "Getting old is not for sissies" and thinking "Shoot man, I can't wait until I get your age and can take a nap in the afternoon" and so on. Man they were NOT kidding! Now I know why they took naps! This old age stuff sucks. lol....

Last edited:

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I just discovered another lovely advantage of getting up there in age, I have a new friend and he's a ton of fun. Honestly I'd never met him before, haven't even heard of the little feller-that is until last week. His name is Diverticulitis and he has inserted himself firmly into my lower regions and seems he intends to stay there. Oh he is a real joy, just a ton of fun. Nothing like feeling as though WW2 is going on in your abdomen and your colon is Hiroshima. For everyone's sake I'll just stop the description right there...

Ok sorry Adamantium, I didn't mean to go on and on about age but it's just so much fun! ;)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it that way as well but like the op said not everyone has a steady hand due to many reasons.

And admit it.. lol.. who hasn't spilled at least some of those?
I spilled plenty before I watched the video instructions on how to open them. No mention of how to open them in the instructions (I have the low range kit). I burned through the few packets included with the kit before I figured it out. I still don't like working with this kit and went back to Salifert. I just want to know whether there is some phosphate, vs. exactly how much.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Elos high resolution phosphate test kit, highly recommend.

I will say there is power involved, you get a little spoon to add .4g I think it is to the test tube, if you can manage that then it works out half the price per test of the Hanna.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HannaPacket.jpg

This move - tapping sides with scissors is a nice trick.
It's not crucial that all the powder go in the vial. if you miss 10% of the powder, it won't change your result by 10% - you'll barely change the result. The reagents are present in excess and capable of forming color for way way more PO4 than can be read by the tester.

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Packet

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elos High Resolution for me, as said above it uses powder but you use a scoop provided, piece of cake to use and in my opinion more consistent than Hanna. The only good Hanna is the dkh in my opinion

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back