Is there just ALWAYS something wrong?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was up and running for 16 years, I don’t remember when it went on cruise control but it wasn’t long into it. My current tank hit it at the 2 year mark. What you are experiencing is normal for a 6 month old tank.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef has been on cruise control for about 45 years. But before that I had a lot of problems. :grimacing-face:

Now, it's just there and I wish I had more to do on it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I’m about 6 months into my marine journey, and I just feel like there’s always something wrong in my little ecosystem, and I wondered … is it me, or is this just normal for most people?

I honestly can’t remember a time where every coral looked happy at the same time.

Right now I have 3 Goniapora looking really happy and extended, an apparently “difficult to keep” coral, yet my kryptonite candy cane is all shrivelled up, while 2 other candy canes are fine, and one colony of Zoas really closed up, yet the two adjacent colonies of different Zoas totally thriving (been this way for weeks). I also have 3 chalice frags that just refuse to grow and are lacking colour, and finally a snail or two that just look weak, lazy and discoloured, often found lying on their backs in the sand.

I feed ReefRoids 2-3 times a week, dose AllForReef via my ATO, all my parameters are within acceptable/suggested ranges apart from phosphates, which have been high, and I’ve recently added Roaphos to get those back in check (and ordered a Hanna phosphate tester for more accurate readings). I don’t have any major algae or bacteria bloom issues, etc… and generally my fish are all healthy (minor signs of white spot at times, but my UV seems to be keeping that at manageable levels).

I’m not a “chasing numbers” person, I test the water maybe once a week or every 2 weeks, I’m vigilant with 10% weekly water changes (never missed one), and I’d only number chase if something was well off (such as high phosphates).

So is this just it? Is this the hobby? At any given time, there’s something looking unhealthy/sick/dying, and you just accept it? Or am I doing something wrong?? I’m always worried that if something is dying, then others will follow, on the assumption that something is wrong.

“Get a fish tank, it’ll be relaxing” hahahaha!

Tank pic attached.

IMG_9151.jpeg
And even once it's on cruise control there's oftentimes something that needs to be done that's frustrating. I remember 6 months to a year ago when you had to rip out all that invasive sponge Paul. Even once you get things in "cruise control" reefing is hobby of tinkering and elbowgrease to fix new problems! IMO that's part of the fun but can also be frustrating when it's too much at once.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I remember 6 months to a year ago when you had to rip out all that invasive sponge Paul.
I forgot about that. I think it was over a year ago. That wasn't really a problem, more of something that I just didn't want. Everything was very healthy but the sponge was healthier and I wanted to keep other things besides sponge. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

It's all gone now, and I know this is going to sound weird, but if the tank goes on for years with no problems or issues, it becomes boring. Remember, I don't really test, quarantine, medicate, Rarely change water and I keep my fish immune so they never get sick and all that so except for feeding and cleaning the glass, I have nothing to do on the tank.

Of course that is good, but for a hobby, I like to do things so I will make a rock or move something around, make a new diatom filter or something just to be able to do something to the tank.

I obviously don't want the problems many people have with diseases, crashing, leaks etc, but I feel we make most of those issues ourselves. (not the leaks of course unless we are playing golf in front of our tank)
After enough years you learn to sidestep most of these problems. I try to teach these methods but not being the God of fish, people are free to do as they please. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about that. I think it was over a year ago. That wasn't really a problem, more of something that I just didn't want. Everything was very healthy but the sponge was healthier and I wanted to keep other things besides sponge. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

It's all gone now, and I know this is going to sound weird, but if the tank goes on for years with no problems or issues, it becomes boring. Remember, I don't really test, quarantine, medicate, Rarely change water and I keep my fish immune so they never get sick and all that so except for feeding and cleaning the glass, I have nothing to do on the tank.

Of course that is good, but for a hobby, I like to do things so I will make a rock or move something around, make a new diatom filter or something just to be able to do something to the tank.

I obviously don't want the problems many people have with diseases, crashing, leaks etc, but I feel we make most of those issues ourselves. (not the leaks of course unless we are playing golf in front of our tank)
After enough years you learn to sidestep most of these problems. I try to teach these methods but not being the God of fish, people are free to do as they please. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
When there is nothing to do I find things to do. I agree if there was nothing to do I’d be bored also, and the last thing anyone wants is me bored.

Even with the tank, 2 cats, 3 dogs, a full time job I got bored and went back to school. Lol

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If images are too large you might have “live” on. Thy screenshotting the image then posting that
I’ll try that, thanks. I did disable live on the image settings, but they were still too big.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're on the right track. It takes a year or two to really get to see it on autopilot. Think of it this way. You are trying to create the ocean in a box. It takes time. Just plug through until your there.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back