Is there just ALWAYS something wrong?

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about 6 months into my marine journey, and I just feel like there’s always something wrong in my little ecosystem, and I wondered … is it me, or is this just normal for most people?

I honestly can’t remember a time where every coral looked happy at the same time.

Right now I have 3 Goniapora looking really happy and extended, an apparently “difficult to keep” coral, yet my kryptonite candy cane is all shrivelled up, while 2 other candy canes are fine, and one colony of Zoas really closed up, yet the two adjacent colonies of different Zoas totally thriving (been this way for weeks). I also have 3 chalice frags that just refuse to grow and are lacking colour, and finally a snail or two that just look weak, lazy and discoloured, often found lying on their backs in the sand.

I feed ReefRoids 2-3 times a week, dose AllForReef via my ATO, all my parameters are within acceptable/suggested ranges apart from phosphates, which have been high, and I’ve recently added Roaphos to get those back in check (and ordered a Hanna phosphate tester for more accurate readings). I don’t have any major algae or bacteria bloom issues, etc… and generally my fish are all healthy (minor signs of white spot at times, but my UV seems to be keeping that at manageable levels).

I’m not a “chasing numbers” person, I test the water maybe once a week or every 2 weeks, I’m vigilant with 10% weekly water changes (never missed one), and I’d only number chase if something was well off (such as high phosphates).

So is this just it? Is this the hobby? At any given time, there’s something looking unhealthy/sick/dying, and you just accept it? Or am I doing something wrong?? I’m always worried that if something is dying, then others will follow, on the assumption that something is wrong.

“Get a fish tank, it’ll be relaxing” hahahaha!

Tank pic attached.

IMG_9151.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Takes about 2 years to get it on cruise control. Weird stuff still pops up on light, pump, rock changes but it’s a lot less drastic. Hang in there. That being said a coral aquarium is more a hobby than a decoration.
Just 2 years? Lol

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't look at it as things going wrong....most of that stuff is a normal part of the process :) Owning a reef tank is only relaxing for the people not responsible for it lol.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully agree it takes a good 1.5-2 years for a tank to be mature enough that it runs on cruise control. To me, 6 months is still a brand new tank.

your tank looks very nice, just keep it up. At some point the corals will explode with growth, thats when you know your tank is really coming along.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...and when you get on cruise control, you try less water changes, maybe feed a little more, maybe add another fish...and things change.

I've had easy things like zoas take off, then add a different one which overtakes the other, the first one just disappears.

With some of my recent favites purchases, two are doing very well, encrusting. The other two exist, one died back a bit initially, the other is still one big polyp, maybe some new eye formation. I've had them for a year.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully agree it takes a good 1.5-2 years for a tank to be mature enough that it runs on cruise control. To me, 6 months is still a brand new tank.

your tank looks very nice, just keep it up. At some point the corals will explode with growth, thats when you know your tank is really coming along.
I guess I’ll take some comfort from that. All food for the patience game huh?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through it as well. Our minds are programmed to look for problems. Probably what kept our species alive for all these years. Try to remember to enjoy the good.
But more specifically, there has been a lot of talk that Gonis are now easier.
The inverted lazy snails could indicate a copper issue. Check for exposed metal.
When all else fails, just spend more money. lol.

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some more close up photos of the corals I listed in my OP…

*edit, images too large for some reason, nevermind.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef has been on cruise control for about 45 years. But before that I had a lot of problems. :grimacing-face:

Now, it's just there and I wish I had more to do on it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Smithrz

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef has been on cruise control for about 45 years. But before that I had a lot of problems. :grimacing-face:

Now, it's just there and I wish I had more to do on it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
dang, you must absolutely LOVE this Hobby, your Reef is 3 years older than I am, haha.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 16 gallon by the 6th month mark I decided I had already upgraded to a 75 gallon.

I definitely committed my share of coral murder - and have NO idea why some things died.

I did not then nor do I now chase numbers.

I am not consistent on water changes.

My tank hit auto pilot right after a year - right before I moved!

Then BAM things went poop after moving - 100% don’t recommend! Lost a ton of stuff.

I’m at year 4 I think.

Now I’m kinda back where I was other than stupid nitrates and phosphates won’t cooperate.

And yeah Dino’s! (Bought a microscope to figure out the kind and saw stuff in the water and was like - hmmmm I stick my hands in that lol!)

But I love my tank. And it is relaxing- even when I’m cleaning cursing testing cursing - heater dying cursing - ect. ect. ect.

The moment you think something is going great …..just don’t jinx yourself!

the tank gives me something to focus on and something to learn about

Photos of my tank before the move

IMG_1471.jpeg
IMG_1503.jpeg
IMG_1878.jpeg
IMG_1881.jpeg
IMG_1880.jpeg
IMG_1879.jpeg
IMG_1938.jpeg
IMG_2733.jpeg

After IMG_2424.jpeg IMG_4902.jpeg IMG_5052.jpeg IMG_5272.jpeg IMG_5375.jpeg IMG_5399.jpeg IMG_5610.jpeg

So yes and no.
And I just ordered a custom tank from Glass Cages - it will take 12 weeks to get here and then I get to move everything into a bit of a bigger system :D

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, you must absolutely LOVE this Hobby, your Reef is 3 years older than I am, haha.
I don't even think of it as a Hobby. It has just always been there since 1971 so I consider it a part of me. :cool:

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 5 years in and still seem to always have some issue with a coral, params, fish etc....
I'd go easy on the Reef Roids btw - they def add to your Phos issues. Mine are very happy with just fish poop and mysis.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back