Is this a beginning of HLLE?

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Brought this white tail kole tang from the fish store 3 days ago, along with a queen angelfish and a flame angel. All 3 are in quarantine now, started GC treatment 2 days ago.
The fishes are eating and generally looking healthy. Today I noticed this patch near the left eye of the tang. The movie clip shows it briefly, also added a still image.
Would appreciate help in identification.

Thanks 20230828_100813208_iOS.jpeg

Attachments

• 20230828_100859000_iOS.MOV
    7.1 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,
Brought this white tail kole tang from the fish store 3 days ago, along with a queen angelfish and a flame angel. All 3 are in quarantine now, started GC treatment 2 days ago.
The fishes are eating and generally looking healthy. Today I noticed this patch near the left eye of the tang. The movie clip shows it briefly, also added a still image.
Would appreciate help in identification.

Thanks 20230828_100813208_iOS.jpeg
No - Looks like a type of injury which based on the circle pattern has a bacterial infection. Best treatment will be seachem Kanaplex in a separate treatment tank with added aeration using an air stone

OP
OP
Dvir

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid a separate treatment tank is not an option currently :/
What could be the implications of dosing Kanaplex to the current tank with the other 2 fishes?

Also - could it be a bite mark caused by one of the other fishes?

Thanks!

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like HLLE but if it was, i treated my emperor angel who had a significant hole in his head with lots of nori. Like 1 sheet per day. After about 1 month, it started to heal and hasn't come back. HLLE is usually caused by a nutritional deficiency and angelfish and tangs need lots of veggies.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could be the implications of dosing Kanaplex to the current tank with the other 2 fishes?

Thanks!

That isn't HLLE. It does look like a bite mark to me, could have been the queen angel, depending on its size. It looks like its mouth may be a bit banged up as well.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It doesn't look like HLLE but if it was, i treated my emperor angel who had a significant hole in his head with lots of nori. Like 1 sheet per day. After about 1 month, it started to heal and hasn't come back. HLLE is usually caused by a nutritional deficiency and angelfish and tangs need lots of veggies.
and poor water quality and HLLE often restores tissue- not fully heal it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Thank
Fish do bite. Regarding quarantine. . . . As I just expressed to someone -
It takes one parasite to wipe whole tank out.
Having a quarantine should be a priority and the worse occurrence will be on a Sunday night when all stores are closed and losing one fish alone will be equal to the price of a treatment tank. Losing an entire tank - You know the rest. Kanaplex can affect coral and Inverts. You can use Ruby Rally Pro and seeing you are in Israel, you can use Waterlife Myxazin

OP
OP
Dvir

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish do bite. Regarding quarantine. . . . As I just expressed to someone -
It takes one parasite to wipe whole tank out.
Having a quarantine should be a priority and the worse occurrence will be on a Sunday night when all stores are closed and losing one fish alone will be equal to the price of a treatment tank. Losing an entire tank - You know the rest. Kanaplex can affect coral and Inverts. You can use Ruby Rally Pro and seeing you are in Israel, you can use Waterlife Myxazin
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The 3 new fish are in my QT right now, they're not in the DT. I thought you suggested to separate the tang to a separate treatment tank which is why I asked if it's ok to dose antibiotics into the QT even if the other 2 fish don't need it :)

Oh and I do have kanaplex and Ruby Rally Pro.. I have it shipped to Israel from the US

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The 3 new fish are in my QT right now, they're not in the DT. I thought you suggested to separate the tang to a separate treatment tank which is why I asked if it's ok to dose antibiotics into the QT even if the other 2 fish don't need it :)

Oh and I do have kanaplex and Ruby Rally Pro.. I have it shipped to Israel from the US
My bad- yes I was confused. Proceed with Kanaplex. Also monitor water quality, specifically ammonia level while in quarantine

OP
OP
Dvir

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more silly question about this tang. He seems to be producing an absurd amount of poop as can be seen in the attached photo. This is literally 4 hours after I completely cleaned the floor using a siphon. He's eating the algae off the glass, his mouth prints are also evident in the photo. Is this normal? it looks like he's not really digesting anything out of this algae and I'm wondering whether to wipe it off the tank. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20230828_133057282_iOS.jpeg
    20230828_133057282_iOS.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 27

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back