Is this a coral disease?

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've had this leather for about 8-9 months now and he's getting HUGE compared to when I got him, he's also attached himself very firmly to a rock and is getting a lovely thick base and extended beautifully.

I noticed the base began to turn green in a certain spot, it's quite flourescent. I thought nothing of it, and left it. A few weeks down the line it seems to be getting bigger, but the coral is showing absolutely no signs of distress or unhappiness. I'm hoping someone can identify it.

Thanks! Also, please ignore the Cyano, I'm struggling with battling it at the moment after moving house and moving the tank.

image0.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys, I've had this leather for about 8-9 months now and he's getting HUGE compared to when I got him, he's also attached himself very firmly to a rock and is getting a lovely thick base and extended beautifully.

I noticed the base began to turn green in a certain spot, it's quite flourescent. I thought nothing of it, and left it. A few weeks down the line it seems to be getting bigger, but the coral is showing absolutely no signs of distress or unhappiness. I'm hoping someone can identify it.

Thanks! Also, please ignore the Cyano, I'm struggling with battling it at the moment after moving house and moving the tank.

image0.jpeg
May be irritation from cyano which is a bacteria and often a sign of elevated phosphate levels as well as nitrates. Have a net ready and gently give it bursts from a turkey baster and net the loose matter and see if it improves. As long as it is not rot which its not- again see if improvement and also verify your water levels

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be irritation from cyano which is a bacteria and often a sign of elevated phosphate levels as well as nitrates. Have a net ready and gently give it bursts from a turkey baster and net the loose matter and see if it improves. As long as it is not rot which its not- again see if improvement and also verify your water levels
Thanks!

I'm in an endless fight with this cyano, I consistently blow it off and try suck it out but keeps coming back. I bought another poiwerhead as I was having dead spots of flow, it improved and is focused to only one or two rocks and sand in the very centre of the tank.

I believe elevated phosphate is coming from the amount of frozen food im feeding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks!

I'm in an endless fight with this cyano, I consistently blow it off and try suck it out but keeps coming back. I bought another poiwerhead as I was having dead spots of flow, it improved and is focused to only one or two rocks and sand in the very centre of the tank.

I believe elevated phosphate is coming from the amount of frozen food im feeding.
Excess food will be a cause. Reduce amount fed and add a pouch of chemipure elite to your sump which will reduce po4 and keep it in check

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back