Is this a dumb idea?

sassmastawillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, I've got a bit of a crazy idea of where to put a saltwater tank. The new house I've moved into has a corner fireplace in the living room with this huge TV niche built into the wall above it. I don't really want to put a TV in here, its a little too high and I don' like viewing a corner TV, but I thought a reef tank would go nicely. I'm still looking into what kind of support is back there (I climbed up in there no problem, but I still want to see how the structure is built), and wanted to see if anyone here had some thoughts about if I should put something in there, and how I should plan this out.

The biggest tank that will fit is a 40b, and when I measure it out, there's enough space back there for another 20h tank behind it (the cabinet is a trapezoid shape). I have a few options I've come up with:

Have a 20h sump behind the tank. I know sumps are generally placed under the tank so water can flow into it with gravity, but my idea was to plumb it directly into the side of the tank and just have the water level of the sump be lower than the tank, sort of how like AIO systems work. I've never worked with sumps before, so I wanted to see if this was a good idea or not. My biggest concern is that it wont be very accessible for maintenance. I'd have to reach over the tank, which won't be very ideal since I'll already have to be on a stepladder too. I know, probably a bad idea.

Raise the sump behind the tank. Probably not much better of an idea, but it could be easier for me to do maintenance on it and I'd at least be able to have a good view of the inside of the sump. All the ATO sensors would have to be in the tank, but it still helps add volume to the whole setup and keeps it looking tidy.

Or the most reasonable idea: use a HOB filter and use that extra space to store my ATO reservoir. The other 2 options I would put the bucket on the floor next to the mantle and run a hose through a bit of the wall. Filling the reservoir would be the PIA part, but I can just use a pump.

Curious to see what experienced members think. I know most people prefer to have a sump with their tanks, and I would too, but was wondering how feasible it would even be.

Thanks!

PXL_20231130_165259186.MP.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, I've got a bit of a crazy idea of where to put a saltwater tank. The new house I've moved into has a corner fireplace in the living room with this huge TV niche built into the wall above it. I don't really want to put a TV in here, its a little too high and I don' like viewing a corner TV, but I thought a reef tank would go nicely. I'm still looking into what kind of support is back there (I climbed up in there no problem, but I still want to see how the structure is built), and wanted to see if anyone here had some thoughts about if I should put something in there, and how I should plan this out.

The biggest tank that will fit is a 40b, and when I measure it out, there's enough space back there for another 20h tank behind it (the cabinet is a trapezoid shape). I have a few options I've come up with:

Have a 20h sump behind the tank. I know sumps are generally placed under the tank so water can flow into it with gravity, but my idea was to plumb it directly into the side of the tank and just have the water level of the sump be lower than the tank, sort of how like AIO systems work. I've never worked with sumps before, so I wanted to see if this was a good idea or not. My biggest concern is that it wont be very accessible for maintenance. I'd have to reach over the tank, which won't be very ideal since I'll already have to be on a stepladder too. I know, probably a bad idea.

Raise the sump behind the tank. Probably not much better of an idea, but it could be easier for me to do maintenance on it and I'd at least be able to have a good view of the inside of the sump. All the ATO sensors would have to be in the tank, but it still helps add volume to the whole setup and keeps it looking tidy.

Or the most reasonable idea: use a HOB filter and use that extra space to store my ATO reservoir. The other 2 options I would put the bucket on the floor next to the mantle and run a hose through a bit of the wall. Filling the reservoir would be the PIA part, but I can just use a pump.

Curious to see what experienced members think. I know most people prefer to have a sump with their tanks, and I would too, but was wondering how feasible it would even be.

Thanks!

PXL_20231130_165259186.MP.jpg
An aquarium surrounded on 4 of 5 sides might be a big pain when it comes to maintenance.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintenance won't be fun and I'd be worried about support. Probably just framed in with 2x4s and not intended for weight.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll wish you hadn't due to maintenance difficulty. If you had rear access, it would make a difference. You definitely won't want to use the fireplace with a tank up there either; heating a tank is easy but chilling one is difficult and/or expensive. I second the AIO idea, for sure.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll wish you hadn't due to maintenance difficulty. If you had rear access, it would make a difference. You definitely won't want to use the fireplace with a tank up there either; heating a tank is easy but chilling one is difficult and/or expensive. I second the AIO idea, for sure.
As well as eating all the oxygen in the area.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're set on a 40B, you could look into something like this, or even DIY:

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not. Its a gas fireplace, and I live in an area that pretty warm year round.
Haven't turned it on yet, but do you think the heat would be a huge issue?
Definitely would not ever turn that fireplace on. Previously mentioned issues. I think heat would be a huge issue

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering about the practicality of having a tank that high off the floor. Personally, I don't think you will be able to appreciate the tank without a step stool.

I'd probably install a grow light and put a nice arrangement of plants in there.

OP
OP
sassmastawillis

sassmastawillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm going to nix the idea of putting a tank up there, and go with a custom stand next to the TV on the other wall. Not only does it sound like a bad idea from an access standpoint, but the heat from the fireplace is a big concern.

Another question is how close to a TV can I put it? Mostly concerned about splashes and salt creep.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back