Is this a good deal?

MasterOmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a guy selling this in my area for 250$ with the corals, 2 clowns, and a ai prime light. Is this a good deal and should I get it?

Screenshot_20240107_163200_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
M

MasterOmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ai prime 16 light new alone costs more than 250 bucks. It's a fantastic deal. Don't be surprised if a lot of the coral doesn't transfer well though
Im still new to the hobby and don't wanna bite too much but at the same time i don't want to pass up a good deal. My 40 gallon breeder at the moment is cycled and just there with a few mollies and a basic non-reef light.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh heck yes. That'd be a good deal for just the hardware alone.

Get him to tell you how he maintains it, and write what he tells you down. Also, get the same brand of salt, at least to start with. That should hopefully help things transfer over better, though colonies don't like to be moved.

OP
OP
M

MasterOmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh heck yes. That'd be a good deal for just the hardware alone.

Get him to tell you how he maintains it, and write what he tells you down. Also, get the same brand of salt, at least to start with. That should hopefully help things transfer over better, though colonies don't like to be moved.
How would you recommend moving the colonies and yeah i was worried about the salt. I have fritz rpm. Im just worried about buying all the corals and them dying.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'd probably have the best chance at successfully transplanting everything if you put the rockwork all back the way it was, so the colonies went through minimal change.

Alternately/in addition, you could try asking the seller to chop some frags off those colonies in relatively unobtrusive ways. Maybe offer them an extra $10-$20 if they'd frag some of the trickier pieces (mostly the big frogspawn-likes to the left, I'm not sure what those are) for you? It sounds odd to say that a chunk of the exact same coral might acclimate better than the colony it's just been cut off of, but frags won't have developed yet to fit any precise conditions, and should therefore cope with things better. And if the colonies do fine, oh well- you've got spare frags you can trade in.

Though, really, a lot of those corals should be fine- GSP is hard to kill, and all those zoas on the right should be fine. It's more the stony corals that may fuss, as they may have grown into a shape that suits the exact light and flow where they are. You're definitely not going to kill everything, and even if all those corals evaporated, it'd still be a good deal. It's just that if you do see some of the colonies throwing a fit, it might not be anything that's wrong, per se, just that they're objecting to a change.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd probably have the best chance at successfully transplanting everything if you put the rockwork all back the way it was, so the colonies went through minimal change.

Alternately/in addition, you could try asking the seller to chop some frags off those colonies in relatively unobtrusive ways. Maybe offer them an extra $10-$20 if they'd frag some of the trickier pieces (mostly the big frogspawn-likes to the left, I'm not sure what those are) for you? It sounds odd to say that a chunk of the exact same coral might acclimate better than the colony it's just been cut off of, but frags won't have developed yet to fit any precise conditions, and should therefore cope with things better. And if the colonies do fine, oh well- you've got spare frags you can trade in.

Though, really, a lot of those corals should be fine- GSP is hard to kill, and all those zoas on the right should be fine. It's more the stony corals that may fuss, as they may have grown into a shape that suits the exact light and flow where they are. You're definitely not going to kill everything, and even if all those corals evaporated, it'd still be a good deal. It's just that if you do see some of the colonies throwing a fit, it might not be anything that's wrong, per se, just that they're objecting to a change.
Yeah the gsp and zoas should definitely be fine. I'd be most concerned about the various spa and euphyllia. Euphyllia colonies don't live being moved

OP
OP
M

MasterOmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty much I should go for it but don't be suprised if some of the corals die. I don't really know too much about corals besides like basic reefing knowledge but Imma make sure to ask the seller.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty much I should go for it but don't be suprised if some of the corals die. I don't really know too much about corals besides like basic reefing knowledge but Imma make sure to ask the seller.
Soak up as much info as that seller is willing to give. That's a good looking tank with well cared for corals. It looks like they were trying to grow in a zoa and euphyllia lined barebottom tank.

If you do whatever they're doing you'll have a beautiful tank.

OP
OP
M

MasterOmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak up as much info as that seller is willing to give. That's a good looking tank with well cared for corals. It looks like they were trying to grow in a zoa and euphyllia lined barebottom tank.

If you do whatever they're doing you'll have a beautiful tank.
Yeah the seller was originally selling the whole setup(Aquatop 24g) for $400 but i already have a 40g breeder and am not really a fan of the cube shape aquariums. Im 50/50 on doing a barebottom tank or keeping it sand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back