Is this a hitchhiker or part of my goniopora?

EddyEOD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forum/reefing and I could use some help. I recently picked up a ora red goniopora. It was bayer and seachem dipped prior to entering the aquarium but I did not remount the frag. Do goniopora have sweeper tentacles like this or is it a hitchhiker? It's only on the one side of the frag attached at the base of the plug frag junction. I thought maybe aptasia but they dont look like that at the base to me. What is your opinion?
20200623_125621.jpg

20200623_125621.jpg

OP
OP
E

EddyEOD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt but the goni sure does when I get close. It reminds me of staghorn algae in freshwater without the branching structure. I tooth brushed it and tried not to get the goni but its ticked none the less. Missed 2 testicles apparently and cant seem to grip them with tweezers. I'm going to let the goni rest and see what comes of it.

Still hope for an ID from someone.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping you get an id because I have something similar in a zoa frag and can’t get it off even with peroxide dip

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pic look like sponge.

OP
OP
E

EddyEOD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my very short experience with saltwater but substantial research I'm currently guessing it was/is (if I failed to kill it with the toothbrush) some kind of algae. It looks very similar to freshwater staghorn algae just without the branching structure.

It also looks a heck of a lot like aiptasia but the tenticles seem to come directly out of the glue mounting the frag area and not the typical aiptasia base.

I'm going with 65% algae 10% aiptasia 25% some other unknown marine life form.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my very short experience with saltwater but substantial research I'm currently guessing it was/is (if I failed to kill it with the toothbrush) some kind of algae. It looks very similar to freshwater staghorn algae just without the branching structure.

It also looks a heck of a lot like aiptasia but the tenticles seem to come directly out of the glue mounting the frag area and not the typical aiptasia base.

I'm going with 65% algae 10% aiptasia 25% some other unknown marine life form.
If it retracts when you touch it then I would go with aiptasia but looks like algae or a sponge

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back