Is this a keyhole limpet?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed some marks on an acro frag and decided to dip it. This wasn't present anywhere on the flesh but was under it and came off during the dip. Is it a keyhole limpet? Is this the kind that will munch on sps?

PXL_20230410_211635600.jpg

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, if theres a hole at the top of it, its a keyhole limpet, but icant tell from the image if it has a hole or not, otherwise its just some regular limpet or a chiton.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean, if theres a hole at the top of it, its a keyhole limpet, but icant tell from the image if it has a hole or not, otherwise its just some regular limpet or a chiton.

Yea so I tossed it (ugh) already but I THINK there is a hole on the top. So how can I tell if this is a bad one that eats sps?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like there was a hole on the right side of the shell in the pic. With regards to the eating SPS thing:
I've heard the claim of some keyholes eating SPS corals (I haven't heard of anyone claiming they eat other kinds of corals) before, but I don't think I've seen anyone actually be able to verify that claim (though there are enough species of limpet out there that it wouldn't surprise me if some did eat SPS). That said, as mentioned at the end of my quote below, with limpets of any kind, I would assume they are safe until proven otherwise.
Normal limpets are totally fine, but there's some speculation about Keyhole Limpets possibly eating SPS corals. If yours is a keyhole limpet (which it looks like it may be, but the photo is too grainy for me to tell you for certain), I don't know that anyone has actually confirmed that they eat SPS (much like how people believe "Asterinas" - actually Aquilonstra - stars might eat their corals: it might be a species specific thing, it might be a you have way too many starfish so they're out of other food options thing, it might be they're eating the slime coat/mucus on the coral rather than the coral itself, or they might just opportunistically eat unhealthy corals).

If it has a little "keyhole" or bullet hole looking hole on the back of it's shell (where the shell comes to a point) then it's a keyhole limpet.

Personally, I'd assume keyhole limpets are probably safe, but I know a lot of people would rather play it completely safe and not take the risk.
In short, the only way to know at this point if yours would eat SPS or not is to toss it in with some confirmedly healthy and growing SPS and find out. Most likely it would be fine, but there's always a slim chance that the critter would eat the SPS.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read online that keyhole limpets eats algae and diatoms but also detrius feeding, but can also be carnivorous and eat sponges, nothing i read sugests they eat SPS though. But hey im no expert or anything im pretty new with saltwater aquariums but im very interested in small creatures and hitchhikers, got 3 small eunice worms in 1 of my rocks in my 13.5g tank and they have never done any harm and never leave the rock ever.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure SPS eating Limpets are an internet rumor scapegoat from someone that had a bad experience with SPS. Most Limpets will confine themselves to a fairly flat surface because their only defense mechanism is to hunker down. Otherwise they would be vulnerable to crabs and the like. Keyhole limpets do have a hole at the top of their shell which they breath, but some also will grow a fleshy mantle covering their shell up to the hole.
Limpets do have powerful teeth, contained in an organ called Radula. These teeth scrape the surface for algae, diatoms, etc. "if" a limpet was on a flat-ish coral "Montipora eg." that had some algae on it, yes it would leave a scar or bite marks from the teeth, but it would not be eating the coral per-say.
Limpets will also tend to confine themselves to one area and there have been studies that show they can create algae farms. I have had one limpet on a flat 3x3 rock for months. Most of my limpets are on my glass where they do a great job of keeping any hard algae at bay.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like there was a hole on the right side of the shell in the pic. With regards to the eating SPS thing:

In short, the only way to know at this point if yours would eat SPS or not is to toss it in with some confirmedly healthy and growing SPS and find out. Most likely it would be fine, but there's always a slim chance that the critter would eat the SPS.
I read online that keyhole limpets eats algae and diatoms but also detrius feeding, but can also be carnivorous and eat sponges, nothing i read sugests they eat SPS though. But hey im no expert or anything im pretty new with saltwater aquariums but im very interested in small creatures and hitchhikers, got 3 small eunice worms in 1 of my rocks in my 13.5g tank and they have never done any harm and never leave the rock ever.
I am pretty sure SPS eating Limpets are an internet rumor scapegoat from someone that had a bad experience with SPS. Most Limpets will confine themselves to a fairly flat surface because their only defense mechanism is to hunker down. Otherwise they would be vulnerable to crabs and the like. Keyhole limpets do have a hole at the top of their shell which they breath, but some also will grow a fleshy mantle covering their shell up to the hole.
Limpets do have powerful teeth, contained in an organ called Radula. These teeth scrape the surface for algae, diatoms, etc. "if" a limpet was on a flat-ish coral "Montipora eg." that had some algae on it, yes it would leave a scar or bite marks from the teeth, but it would not be eating the coral per-say.
Limpets will also tend to confine themselves to one area and there have been studies that show they can create algae farms. I have had one limpet on a flat 3x3 rock for months. Most of my limpets are on my glass where they do a great job of keeping any hard algae at bay.

I found these guys in my skimmer today, on the walls where the bubbles form. The reason I think they are eating sps is because of what looks like bites on a test acro I have see attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20230412_123045175.jpg
    PXL_20230412_123045175.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20230412_123252193.jpg
    PXL_20230412_123252193.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20230412_123107528.jpg
    PXL_20230412_123107528.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20230412_123155372.jpg
    PXL_20230412_123155372.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20230410_141406445.jpg
    PXL_20230410_141406445.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 72

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Limpets and other snails leave a long trail when they graze. That doesn't look right for a snail.

What fish do you have?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tangs (Achilles, yellow, naso, purple)
Blue throat trigger
Potters angel
Mandarin
Copperband butterfly
Leopard wrasse
Clown

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread to confirm that some limpets do eat SPS.

I caught a couple in the act of chowing through some very healthy frags before setting up a "honey pot" frag and then gradually moving them to my sump as they were drawn to the tasty polyps.

One limpet can strip an entire frag in a night, so stay alert! :face-with-monocle:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread to confirm that some limpets do eat SPS.

I caught a couple in the act of chowing through some very healthy frags before setting up a "honey pot" frag and then gradually moving them to my sump as they were drawn to the tasty polyps.

One limpet can strip an entire frag in a night, so stay alert! :face-with-monocle:
Yeah, since this thread, I've found two subfamilies of keyhole limpets that are known to eat corals:
It’s rare, but there are two taxonomic subfamilies of keyhole limpets (Diodorinae and Emarginulinae) that I have found research on showing that they have a handful of species in them that are either known to or thought to occasionally eat corals (I’d need to go digging through the papers again, but, IIRC, they only ate SPS , and they had pretty specific tastes/preferences). One example:

Edit: just to reinforce, regular limpets are fine, and most keyhole limpets (including most from the subfamilies listed above) are reef safe; to the best of current scientific knowledge, only a very small number of them are not.
Are your coral eaters normal limpets, keyhole limpets (hole on the back of the shell), or fleshy limpets?

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, since this thread, I've found two subfamilies of keyhole limpets that are known to eat corals:

Are your coral eaters normal limpets, keyhole limpets (hole on the back of the shell), or fleshy limpets?

Not sure, they're decorated with a lot of cruft. :) Here's a picture of the rogue limpets in the sump, happily eating algae:

IMG_7437.JPEG

These guys came in on my order of TBS rock and they look like the photos TBS has on their site.

I *think* they're keyholes -- some of them are clean enough that you can see a small hole in the middle of their shell.

Not super tiny either, the biggest ones are at least an inch long.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some of those (also on TBS rock), and they did eat on a- I've forgotten the name, the SPS called a "cactus coral". I thought it was because the coral was already pretty stressed, but if they'll go after healthy ones, I may have to remove them.

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of those (also on TBS rock), and they did eat on a- I've forgotten the name, the SPS called a "cactus coral". I thought it was because the coral was already pretty stressed, but if they'll go after healthy ones, I may have to remove them.
Yeah, the frags they ate were super-healthy.

The limpets were in my tank for 6 months and ate algae most of that time… one day they were apparently like “well I guess I’m in the mood for polyps now.”

Pretty easy to catch with a birdsnest frag for bait, no need to pry them off the rocks or glass.

They’re welcome to live permanently in the sump and they seem perfectly happy there. :)

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limpets all have a hole in there top cone. (at least the ones I am familiar with) Key Hole's have a much larger hole that is noticeably a hole and the mantle tends to come up the side of their shell.
IMG_0487.jpeg

CAB9AE0A-6BB2-4C53-B91B-72F382EA0C3F.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limpets all have a hole in there top cone. (at least the ones I am familiar with) Key Hole's have a much larger hole that is noticeably a hole and the mantle tends to come up the side of their shell.
IMG_0487.jpeg

CAB9AE0A-6BB2-4C53-B91B-72F382EA0C3F.jpg
To my knowledge, true limpets (taxonomic subclass Patellogastropoda) don't have a hole on top of their shell at all, but keyhole limpets (taxonomic subclass Vetigastropoda, order Lepetellida, superfamily Fissurelloidea) all have one for respiration.

For some examples of true limpets:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge, true limpets (taxonomic subclass Patellogastropoda) don't have a hole on top of their shell at all, but keyhole limpets (taxonomic subclass Vetigastropoda, order Lepetellida, superfamily Fissurelloidea) all have one for respiration.

For some examples of true limpets:
Your going to make me get up and look in my temperate tank arn't you...:anguished-face:

Back