• Female

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We want to get another blue jaw trigger fish to have a male/female pair. I have looked at lots of pictures but am still unsure whether we have a male or female, lol. I'm leaning towards male because he does have a slight blue jaw... but he doesn't really have the yellow on his fins. Help!!!
20180506_071804.jpg 20180510_184042.jpg 22818 Peaking trigger.png 22818 Trigger.png

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it is a male. It could be juvi coloring. I was told mine was a female because it did not have the yellow edging.
But I thought it was male. It had the faintest blue shadow in certain lighting on the jaw. Many months later it developed the vibrant yellow on fin edges and a pronounced blue jaw.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet it is a male. It could be juvi coloring. I was told mine was a female because it did not have the yellow edging.
But I thought it was male. It had the faintest blue shadow in certain lighting on the jaw. Many months later it developed the vibrant yellow on fin edges and a pronounced blue jaw.
Thanks! He's about 3.5-4in so it is true could still be showing juvenile colors

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What helped me was watching when my lights were off or almost off. As he got older I could see faint yellow on fins & the faint blue.
When you are sure of the gender ask members how they successfully added a possible mate. Find out if they used eggcrate or an acclimation box to introduce the other trigger.:)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size with the slight impressions of the chin, I would say Male. I have a pair and have seen several examples of males being identified as females. To guarantee a female they have to be a solid 4" a tad over for insurance.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has no other fish in the tank to make him color up it will most likely stay the same. I bought one with all its colors and within a couple months the blue jaw and yellow fins had all gone away. I figured lack of vitamins or something. Around a few months later I added a Sargassum trigger and within a week I started to notice a little yellow on the fins and the blue on the jaw coming back. After a couple months with the Sargassum in the tank the blue jaw fully colored up.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would update. Definitely male. A little over a month later has the clear blue jaw and bright yellow fins. Unfortunately introducing a female did not go so well. He attacked when she somehow got out the acclimation box while I was sleeping. She was pretty beat up and unfortunately died a few days later.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would update. Definitely male. A little over a month later has the clear blue jaw and bright yellow fins. Unfortunately introducing a female did not go so well. He attacked when she somehow got out the acclimation box while I was sleeping. She was pretty beat up and unfortunately died a few days later.

Not to encourage you to try again. Choose a female at least 4.5" to insure it is actually a female. Being a little larger than the one you have in the tank, there may be a little tussle at first, but males and females usually don't escalate into anything dangerous. I would suspect the first one you tried was actually a male not showing colors yet.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180828_170605.jpg Yep tried that. Fish was 4-4.5 female from live aquaria. Still possible but did not have any yellow on fins and not even a hint of blue on jaw.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back