Undulated trigger sex?

Draven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been reading a lot about undulated triggers and am really considering getting one. That being said people keep saying the have females or males and I don't know how to tell the difference I know it has something to do with the stripes on their head but not positive. If someone could share some pictures that would be awesome. Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive been reading a lot about undulated triggers and am really considering getting one. That being said people keep saying the have females or males and I don't know how to tell the difference I know it has something to do with the stripes on their head but not positive. If someone could share some pictures that would be awesome. Thank you
Often you wont know until they have bred. Some fish have noticeable traits, colors and marking. some triggers fall into this such as blue throat, niger and pinktail as examples in which the male is more colorful

OP
OP
Draven

Draven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often you wont know until they have bred. Some fish have noticeable traits, colors and marking. some triggers fall into this such as blue throat, niger and pinktail as examples in which the male is more colorful
I read somewhere that if they have lines on the front of their face it's a female of it's bald in the front then it's a male I just didn't know if this was true or not and Ive seen some with just dots in the front so I'm unsure.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the patch between the eye and the mouth - females have stripes there while males have a dark patch without the orange stripes. The shape of the area is also different, with females having a more pronounced dipping curve to the mouth while the males have a straighter snout. For pictures:

Male:
Female:
Both sexes and an explanation of the sexing process:

OP
OP
Draven

Draven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the patch between the eye and the mouth - females have stripes there while males have a dark patch without the orange stripes. The shape of the area is also different, with females having a more pronounced dipping curve to the mouth while the males have a straighter snout. For pictures:

Male:
Female:
Both sexes and an explanation of the sexing process:
Perfect thank you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back