adpuls34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis shrimp 3.PNG
Hello!

I discovered this thing today going after one of my conches. I hear clicking sounds from the tank daily. I previously thought that it was snail shells against the glass. The only thing I can think it came in on was the live rock from the KP aquatics (which I inspected and did a 1.040 spec grav rinse). Seems pretty small for a mantis but I am pretty worried that it is. Thoughts?

stumblinras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good or bad is subjective depending on what you want or don't want in your tank. Lol

OP
OP
A

adpuls34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, pistol shrimp.
Good or bad is subjective depending on what you want or don't want in your tank. Lol
Well, it seemed to want to eat my conch. However it has been in there for awhile and has not harmed any trochus, turbo, or conch snail. All my fish are fine and corals too. What are the pros and cons?

OP
OP
A

adpuls34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the pros and cons? Fish, coral, and snails are all fine for months. What is the clicking from?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have like 4 in my tank also from KP. Other than cleaning/ moving some sand and an occasional snail for a snack, they haven’t posed any probs. More interesting with them vs. without.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clicking is just their defense I think. Was never interested in them. I don’t think they can harm anything.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant harm anything much bigger than themselves since they don’t seem to actively go after anything but their smaller prey. Mantises will continue to punch most of the time if they want to

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back