Is this a thing in dosing

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I may be wrong but when dosing if my Red Sea alk and calcium mix together in there pure form in the bottle it’ll be toxic for the tank or is that false?

I don’t know why I thought this but I thought I remembered it being said to keep dosing lines away from another

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of this, but it’s better not to dose those two things at same time but maybe 15 minutes apart.
I manually dose things around the same time. I put it directly in the return compartment/on top of the return pump so it's dispersed by the time I dose the second solution

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys I’ll keep what I’m doing and just dose at different times. I’m not sure why I thought that but just wanted to make sure if they mixed it wasn’t a problem

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I’ll keep what I’m doing and just dose at different times. I’m not sure why I thought that but just wanted to make sure if they mixed it wasn’t a problem
I think if they mix together you will end up with precipitates. That is generally why it is recommended to dose at different times.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my understanding but I could be wrong, so best to do some research. Both alk & part an are carbonates, if dosed or mixed together, the carbonate amount would be extremely high & can cause a massive fluctuation in alk parameters. The massive jump in alk can be extremely damaging to coral & micro fauna in your filtration, leading to bleaching, RTN, die off of coral & beneficial bacteria. That’s my understanding. Plus I rather keep it safe & dose during separate times.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s my understanding but I could be wrong, so best to do some research. Both alk & part an are carbonates, if dosed or mixed together, the carbonate amount would be extremely high & can cause a massive fluctuation in alk parameters. The massive jump in alk can be extremely damaging to coral & micro fauna in your filtration, leading to bleaching, RTN, die off of coral & beneficial bacteria. That’s my understanding. Plus I rather keep it safe & dose during separate times.
Yeah that makes since and its so easy to keep them separate why not

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back