Is this a type of turf algae?

Myxini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5100B7E0-DD8B-4AB9-B435-18599F7382F7.jpeg

This algae is quite stiff and nearly impossible to pull or even scrub off the rocks. Manual remove just about requires scissors. I think it’s some kind of turf algae, but it doesn’t really look like anything in any of the posted ID guides. I’d like to know what it is and some suggestions on what to try to get rid of it. The emerald crab and tuxedo urchin only seem to eat it in small amounts but won’t touch the big mats (that I can see). Trochus snails don’t seem to impact it much either.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like an algae called derbesia. What makes it a challenge is the root system it has. Like bryopsis, you must pull as much as you can by hand. Then the most important element is to get rid of the roots. As long as there are roots, it will keep growing.
Dental pick, shop awl or small crochet needle will pull the roots. Do this if possible outside the tank in a container of water. pitho crab, emerald crab, will assist with any remnants left. Reduce white light intensity and assure Phosphates are not elevated

OP
OP
M

Myxini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, that’s going to be impossible without dismantling the tank. It’s on pretty much every rock where there’s light but no coralline algae. Would a turf scrubber or refugium eventually outcompete this?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on what you did to remove this algae? I have battled it since my tank crashed a year ago and not making much progress.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back