Is this aiptasia on a snail shell?

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my delivery of two clowns and some CuC yesterday. One of the astrea snails has kind of a weird shaped shell but I thought noting of it as I didn't see anything living and tapped and scraped with tweezers a bit.

I see him on a rock this morning and I can see the faintest little wispy thing standing on his shell from the weird lump. Picture included.

I'm pretty sure this is what I think it is. It is extremely small. There are no corals here yet, this is a very new tank, week 7. So if I'm gonna fight these, I suppose this is the "best" time for it to occur.

It's just the one that I've seen and it's been less than 24 hours since livestock added. Should I just give it a harsh scrape with a toothbrush outside the tank? Or has this bad boy already likely dropped some microscopic homies in the water column?

20230615_091433.jpg

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like aiptasia to me. I doubt it's had time to spread, but other snails from that order might already have tiny ones that you can't see yet...
Yeah thats what I'd thought. The snails were from Dr.Reefs pre QTd. I won't give them too much guff about it though, it's aiptasia after all, easy to miss if it's just started. I'll scrub it off later today.

Any treatment recommendations if it spreads? This is my first tank and thus my first time with aiptasia.

Atocad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what I'd thought. The snails were from Dr.Reefs pre QTd. I won't give them too much guff about it though, it's aiptasia after all, easy to miss if it's just started. I'll scrub it off later today.

Any treatment recommendations if it spreads? This is my first tank and thus my first time with aiptasia.
Hey I just ordered some snails from World wide coral and I have a similar issue. Did the tooth brush idea help. Did this ever turn into a major issue.

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just ordered some snails from World wide coral and I have a similar issue. Did the tooth brush idea help. Did this ever turn into a major issue.
I pulled it off with tweezers and have it a gentle scrub in a small dish of tank water then rinses the snail in a second cup of tank water. I haven't seen any other aiptasia in the tank since so I think I got it super early.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back