Is this an adequate space?

BiggDirty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I’ll preface this that I’m sorry for any dumb questions I’m about to ask.

I’m in the very initial stages of looking to get into my first tank. I’ve been going down all sorts of wormholes on YouTube trying to familiarize myself of what is required to get into this. My first decision I’m trying to make is if the spot I have in mind would be adequate for a tank.
We have a “nook” in our kitchen that I would love to use for a space. I am looking at purchasing the Innovative Marine 40L AIO kit, it seems like it might be a little better suited for a beginner like myself. I’ve attached a photo of the space I’m referring to.

1. This tank is suppose to be just shy of 19 inches in height which would leave me about 13 inches of extra height in the space Im looking it out it. Do you think this is an adequate amount of space for performing maintenance on the tank? In terms of lighting, from what I’ve read is that 13 inches should be enough. In terms of width - I would have about 12 inches of free space on each side of the tank. For depth I would about 9 inches of extra space at the back.

2. There is a power outlet in this nook, is that all I will need for running a tank? Im guessing I would need to have a power bar/surge protector in there to run all of the equipment. Am I missing anything there?

3. Is there anything else that I should be concerned about that I’m not considering ?

Thanks!

IMG_1214.jpeg

OP
OP
B

BiggDirty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m lugging up my gym weights to test it out as we speak to make sure it doesn’t all come crashing down haha.

Good call on the fire place comment, it’s rarely used but I will definitely keep that in mind.

Then that works great. Will be about 400lbs all in so just make sure the nook can hold that.

Heat can rise from the fireplace so keep that in mind as well.

Will look nice.

OP
OP
B

BiggDirty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the all in one Innovative Marine kits, I’m expecting there to obviously be other pieces equipment that are going to be required (ie. heater, etc). With that said what would you say are the big “ticket” items that eat up space around the tank???

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything should fit inside your AIO, your return pump, your heater, your media.
I’d add a skimmer.

Outside, lighting. You need to be able to easily service your “sump”, change media, toss skim.

Sides, not much, enough to reach down, maybe magnets holding gyres or the like.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back