Double Check Stocking List for 90 Gallon

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m in the process of setting up my new 90 gallon tank and moving over a handful of fish to get set up. I figured I would run my stocking list by everyone to get some feedback and maybe some suggestions.

The system is a 90 gallon display (mixed reef) feeding into a 40g sump and will eventually include a display refugium between 40-55 gallons (sthis will be plumbed in at a later date.)

The only must haves are a snowflake eel and a starry blenny, so any compatibility issues with those two would exclude any of my proposed fish.

I would like to add:

Two clownfish. (I like the classic look of occ., but I am also considering maroons.)

A fairy wrasse. I’m open to suggestion on specific types that would stay smaller and be happy in a 90 gallon swimming space. I’m partial to the blues or greens in color, similar to a Scott’s, but I’m worried those get too big for my space.

A bristletooth tang— I like the white tails and the purples, if there’s a personality difference to speak of let me know. Or if any other smaller tangs would work better.

After that how close am I to “stocked”? I really like butterflyfish (esp CBB) but from my understanding I’m not quite at a lower end of their minimum tank recommendations. Anything that fills a similar aesthetic space?

I also considered at one time doing one or two dwarf angels (a flame and CB, for example). If these would fit in addition to my stocking list, great, if not, but they’d work better than something I did list, please educate me what I should swap out for them.

I’m open to anything that leaps out to experienced reefers, so feel free to suggest anything.

Thanks in advance.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if you already know this, but a snowflake eel will eat any crustaceans that it can swallow, and sometimes any fish it can swallow. Not as likely for it to eat fish, but just keep that in mind...

OP
OP
Thalasstronaut

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if you already know this, but a snowflake eel will eat any crustaceans that it can swallow, and sometimes any fish it can swallow. Not as likely for it to eat fish, but just keep that in mind...
I am aware, yes, but thank you. I have my snowflake on a regular feeding regiment, every couple of days. We are at the point where he notices the power heads shutting off and then jets out of whatever burrow he’s in and comes to the feeding side of the tank.

This is all to say, I’ve done what I can to mitigate his hunting instinct, and my hermit crabs haven’t gone missing (doing a little too well, frankly) so I’m not especially concerned.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware, yes, but thank you. I have my snowflake on a regular feeding regiment, every couple of days. We are at the point where he notices the power heads shutting off and then jets out of whatever burrow he’s in and comes to the feeding side of the tank.

This is all to say, I’ve done what I can to mitigate his hunting instinct, and my hermit crabs haven’t gone missing (doing a little too well, frankly) so I’m not especially concerned.
Sounds good. Your list seems like a good fit for your tank size, but I am not sure about compatibility issues. Hopefully someone more knowledgable than me on that type of stuff hops on soon.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m in the process of setting up my new 90 gallon tank and moving over a handful of fish to get set up. I figured I would run my stocking list by everyone to get some feedback and maybe some suggestions.

The system is a 90 gallon display (mixed reef) feeding into a 40g sump and will eventually include a display refugium between 40-55 gallons (sthis will be plumbed in at a later date.)

The only must haves are a snowflake eel and a starry blenny, so any compatibility issues with those two would exclude any of my proposed fish.

I would like to add:

Two clownfish. (I like the classic look of occ., but I am also considering maroons.)

A fairy wrasse. I’m open to suggestion on specific types that would stay smaller and be happy in a 90 gallon swimming space. I’m partial to the blues or greens in color, similar to a Scott’s, but I’m worried those get too big for my space.

A bristletooth tang— I like the white tails and the purples, if there’s a personality difference to speak of let me know. Or if any other smaller tangs would work better.

After that how close am I to “stocked”? I really like butterflyfish (esp CBB) but from my understanding I’m not quite at a lower end of their minimum tank recommendations. Anything that fills a similar aesthetic space?

I also considered at one time doing one or two dwarf angels (a flame and CB, for example). If these would fit in addition to my stocking list, great, if not, but they’d work better than something I did list, please educate me what I should swap out for them.

I’m open to anything that leaps out to experienced reefers, so feel free to suggest anything.

Thanks in advance.
Maroons can be quite aggressive. My female is still tiny and tries to attack me every time I put my hand in the tank.

For tangs a purple or a while tail would be fine in a 90 gallon. Personality wise the white tail will be considerably nicer than the purple. Maybe think about a flame tip, they’re very pretty and great for that size tank.

As far as dwarf angels are concerned, I think you’d be fine in that size tank however they should be added at the same time as juveniles and you probably know that they tend to pick at coral. Mostly at LPS.

OP
OP
Thalasstronaut

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons can be quite aggressive. My female is still tiny and tries to attack me every time I put my hand in the tank.

For tangs a purple or a while tail would be fine in a 90 gallon. Personality wise the white tail will be considerably nicer than the purple. Maybe think about a flame tip, they’re very pretty and great for that size tank.

As far as dwarf angels are concerned, I think you’d be fine in that size tank however they should be added at the same time as juveniles and you probably know that they tend to pick at coral. Mostly at LPS.
Thank you for the reply. How aggressive is aggressive? I always wear thick PVC gloves when I reach into the tank. I’m less worried about getting tagged myself and more worried about any one fish becoming a bully.

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply, w/r/t the flame tip. How aggressive is aggressive? I always wear thick PVC gloves when I reach into the tank. I’m less worried about getting tagged myself and more worried about any one fish becoming a bully.
Maroons will definitely bully other fish. Your best bet would be to add them last.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or just don't add them at all. You said that you are "considering" adding them. Trust me. Maroon clowns will be absolute bullies in your tank. A pair of occ. Clowns will be a much better fit for your tank...

But if you have to get them, definitely add them last.

OP
OP
Thalasstronaut

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or just don't add them at all. You said that you are "considering" adding them. Trust me. Maroon clowns will be absolute bullies in your tank. A pair of occ. Clowns will be a much better fit for your tank...

But if you have to get them, definitely add them last.
Yes exactly. I haven’t committed to either yet. Leaning towards the occ. just because of the rather fearsome reputation of the maroons.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back