75 Gallon Reef Tank Stocking List

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I am setting up my first salt water reef tank and need help getting together a stocking list. I am setting up a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I want to have fish and beginner corals with a 1in sand substrate.

I know that I for sure want the below fish in my aquarium.
  • Tang (Probably yellow or maybe a bristletooth?)
  • 2 Clownfish
What other recommendations does everyone have that would play nice with the clowns and tang?

I also want to have a solid clean up crew of shrimp, snails, and whatever else might be good to keep a low-algae/algae-free tank! And need to know how many of my clean up crew organisms I'd need to keep a 75 gallon clean! Open to all suggestions.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!

For fish stocking, check out bottom dwellers like lawnmower blennies, diamond gobies, starry blennies. I love my starry blenny, lots of personality. Dwarf angels are great open swimmers, I haven't had problems with coral beauties or flame angels nipping corals.

trochus snails are awesome algae devourers, definitely get those. @reefcleaners is the gold standard for cleanup crew, they even sell premade packs based on tank size. check them out! Just be careful with emerald crabs, I caught mine snacking on a healthy micromussa and had to move them to the refugium. Love scarlet cleaner shrimps.

OP
OP
C

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!!

For fish stocking, check out bottom dwellers like lawnmower blennies, diamond gobies, starry blennies. I love my starry blenny, lots of personality. Dwarf angels are great open swimmers, I haven't had problems with coral beauties or flame angels nipping corals.

trochus snails are awesome algae devourers, definitely get those. @reefcleaners is the gold standard for cleanup crew, they even sell premade packs based on tank size. check them out! Just be careful with emerald crabs, I caught mine snacking on a healthy micromussa and had to move them to the refugium. Love scarlet cleaner shrimps.

Thank you! I love the coral beauties and diamond gobies, they are stunning fish! I've heard that it's important to introduce fish in a specific order. Do you have any thoughts on if that's true and what order I should begin slowly adding fish?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you just want to add the most aggressive fish last. once you pin down your list, it'll be easier to decide stocking order. more aggressive reef safe fish are tangs, angels and wrasses. clowns can be territorial, but they generally pick a spot they like and "claim" it, so won't go out of their way to harass others who don't come in their zone, so it's usually fine to introduce clowns early.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuc, # 1 tuxedo urchin, Mexican turbos, trochus, ceriths, ninja star, dwarf red and blue legged hermits. For the Sand, tiger conch and nassarius snails. If you go with a diamond watchman goby it will also be a big part of keeping your sand white and clean. Make sure you have enough food in there first so they don’t starve and add more as the need arises.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I am setting up my first salt water reef tank and need help getting together a stocking list. I am setting up a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I want to have fish and beginner corals with a 1in sand substrate.

I know that I for sure want the below fish in my aquarium.
  • Tang (Probably yellow or maybe a bristletooth?)
  • 2 Clownfish
What other recommendations does everyone have that would play nice with the clowns and tang?

I also want to have a solid clean up crew of shrimp, snails, and whatever else might be good to keep a low-algae/algae-free tank! And need to know how many of my clean up crew organisms I'd need to keep a 75 gallon clean! Open to all suggestions.
Be careful adding a lot of snails and other inverts right away. A new tank won't be able to support cuc right away.

Def go with a bristletooth tang they stay smaller and do a great job cleaning rocks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back