0   0   0
Small decorator crab and / or shrimp

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 10, clowns aren’t going to like sharing the space with others imo.
Best to stick with inverts and coral along with the clowns.
Start with easy, fast growing corals before moving to the tougher ones. Good beginner corals are gsp, leathers, zoas, and mushrooms.
For inverts, I have a pom pom crab in my 13.5 with a clown pair, but I rarely see it.
Other good inverts would be lysemata shrimp, emerald crabs, brittle stars, hermit crabs, and assorted snails.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair would (and has) killed in a bigger tank, and my female has in the 13.5 (including her mate).
They are very territorial and don’t take to newcomers of any species in so small a tank.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard gobies do good with them
Clowns, especially two are not really suitable for a ten gallon tank to begin with. If you insist on keeping the clowns you shouldn't add any more fish at all. The right thing to do would be to get rid of the clowns and keep a small goby or two and inverts.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Clown in my tank is really young and has shown no signs of aggression towards a snail I put in a few days ago.
It is not an issue of aggression. A ten gallon reef tank is just too small for most fish that free swim in the water column. Some gobies, blennies, etc. that stay in one place on the bottom are much more suitable for tanks this small.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Clown in my tank is really young and has shown no signs of aggression towards a snail I put in a few days ago.
They aren't usually aggressive with inverts only other fish. I personally think a single ocellaris clown is a reasonable fish stock choice for a 10 gallon as long as you keep up with waste. Clowns also grow quite quickly for the first couple years then slowly for decades. Keep that in mind. Inverts you could add a fair few oddballs since their bioload is small. I like @Sharkbait19 's list, but you also have the option of a pithos crab or decorator crab. Sexy shrimp would also probably be okay in that tank if you wanted to throw in a rock flower anemone or maxi mini carpet (both fairly easy and they host sexy shrimp). A terminally sized maxi mini may even host your clown. Something like a tiger tail seea cucumber is a fun oddball species. You can have a variety of snails. For a Pico, I'd stick to smaller snail varieties and no more than 1 or 2 of each type. Nassarius snails are cool to watch eat.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some pretty big watchmans, I think it will eventually outgrow a 10. The only shrimpgobies I’d do are stonogobiops species and the smaller amblyeliotris. And I still wouldn’t do it with clowns.
Lawnmower blennies also get rather large (for a 10), so wouldn’t be a good fit. On top of diet, they also need a good amount of algae to graze on, which a 10 won’t provide.

Mmbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is too small for additional fish as the others have stated. Your best best is to keep some interesting inverts in there. Go to Live aquaria and look up the fish you are asking about.

Yellow watchman goby: Minimum tank size: 30g
Lawnmower Blenny: Minimum tank size: 30g

Only you can decide what you ultimately put in there, but im not sure what is the point of asking a question if you are just going to ignore the advice you are given.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to agree with what everyone else is saying. I know clowns are deceptively small when first purchased at most LSF, but they do end up being a fair size fish. I have two juveniles in a 10 gallon currently. Everything looks good and waste is easy to control… for now. I ordered a larger tank for them yesterday.
If you really want more fish you’re in good shape with cured rock in your ten to seed a larger system. Petco has some great sales currently. 15g cube for $49.

Attachments

• IMG_9203.jpeg
    IMG_9203.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 13

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back