10 gallon reef tank stocking

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep the one clown or get a second clown and be on top of water changes. Depending on the single clownfish's personality, a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp may be fine instead of another clown. Some clowns don't give a crab about other fish, where as other clownfish are very territorial. I find its on an individual case by case basis.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pederson shrimp/other anemone shrimp, trimma/eviota gobies, flaming prawn goby, pom pom crab, but i wouldnt add the small gobies in with the clowns as people stated. But there ade plenty of small fish you could add that would be great and add multiple of or mix provided enough rock work or hiding.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it sucks to hear youre way over what is appropriate fish wise for the tank. I was going to do a 10 gallon then realized none of the fish I wanted were good for that tank. I went with a much larger tank

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep the one clown or get a second clown and be on top of water changes.
No - not at all. The tank is insanely too small for a single clown let alone two of them. This isn't about making the OP feel better or compromise, the tank is too small for clowns. PERIOD.

Depending on the single clownfish's personality, a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp may be fine instead of another clown. Some clowns don't give a crab about other fish, where as other clownfish are very territorial. I find its on an individual case by case basis.
NO - the tank is too small for a clown, let alone a clown and other fish.

It is suitable for a shrimp and shrimp goby, but alone with no clown(s).

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria and many other sites list reasonable minimum tank sizes. You are looking for 5-10 gallon suitable fish. You can have one or maybe two, not three or four. There just is not enough room.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria and many other sites list reasonable minimum tank sizes. You are looking for 5-10 gallon suitable fish. You can have one or maybe two, not three or four. There just is not enough room.
If they do trimma gobies they can do about 5 in a 10. If 5 gallons 3. If they go with flaming prawns and can make sure they eat powder or frozen, 3 to 5 as well for 10.

OP
OP
Reefer_E

Reefer_E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - not at all. The tank is insanely too small for a single clown let alone two of them. This isn't about making the OP feel better or compromise, the tank is too small for clowns. PERIOD.
He seems like he has enough space.
IMG_8301.jpeg

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cute!
I'm not aligned with everyone harping on a 10 gallon being to small for a clown or 2. My 2 clowns in my 80 gal stay in a small corner around my overflow unless I'm feeding, and in 3 years they've just barely grown to the size of an adult firefish. You could even get an anemone and they might host it and barely ever come out.

Do you have an upgrade path forward if the clown starts to outgrow your 10 gallon? Maybe in a year you'll decide you want a bigger tank. If this is an option, you might be able to put in a goby with the clown in your 10 gallon - but I'm not an expert on aggression - I feel like it'd be okay and you'd just want to watch for aggression and have a plan forward for removing one or the other.

Edit**
Is your tank new? I see in one of your posts that you had a birds nest die, and also stirred up sand during a water change. Your tank might still be too new for a decent amount of corals or adding more fish. It takes time for nutrients and bacteria to get established in the tank to support more corals and fish. Another tip is most refeers don't stir up the sand bed during water changes because it can release toxic crap and spike your ammonia. In your new tank your sand bed is pretty clean so probably no harm done, but in a more established tank it could cause issues unless you do small sections per water change.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

See! If you shop enough opinions you can hear what you want to hear and see what you want to see and your conscious can be set free!

Yes, yes, the photo speaks a thousand words! You have convinced me and I take back everything I said. Perfect fit and room to spare! Bravo Reef_E you have cracked the tiny tank code and have my blessing. After all, you posted and tagged me to hear that right?

Maybe throw in a carpet anemone or two and a few baby tangs to provide community. Just think about all the extra happiness! Not worries, if in doubt, ask enough people and you are sure to find many that will tell you it is okay.

We just want YOU to be happy, Reefer_E!

Last edited:

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clowns are suitable for such a small tank but that is just my opinion it’s not like anyone who asks ever listens anyway

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my pair in a 13.5 - this is because they are in prison after a few kills. I don’t plan to leave them there forever, just until I have another larger tank set up.
If you’ve ever seen them at an aquarium, occys get a decent size (I saw a recent post that described them as smartphone sized, which puts it in a good perspective).
You have to be prepared for the fact that the half inch fish won’t be that size forever, and as it grows it’s tank size will too.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8301.jpeg
This tank needs way more rock. Both for filtration purposes and to make the animals you keep more comfortable. Honestly, it’s rather sad looking and yes, as said before, currently that baby clown has space but it’s a living animal and will GROW to adult size. Folks are loosing patience with you as you continue to try to convince yourself and others that this is an ok way to keep your pet.

Ask a random sample of people if you can keep a dog in your yard chained to a tree. You know what most people will say. It’s wrong, cruel, and should not be done. BUT Eventually someone will tell you, “Yeah, it’s ok because blah blah blah….”. If that’s what it takes for you to justify poor care for your pet that’s sad. And it’s still not the proper way to care for something that is totally reliant on you for its well being.

Yes, that small clown has enough room at the moment. But you should not stock that tank with more fish knowing that it’s too small. And yes, you Know it’s too small. You been told by ample people and been given resources to show you that’s the case. Currently it’s difficult to see your behavior as more than willful ignorance.

The easy answer is to go to petco, buy a tank that’s currently Half Off. Swap everything you have over to the new tank and then you can move forward with a better set up and enjoy having more livestock. A 20 long is $27.99 right now. That’s less than most of the fish you’re suggesting you’d like to purchase.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8301.jpeg
It looks that way because the clown is so small and you dont have near the amount of live rock needed for the tank, you need way more rock for a saltwater tank for filtration. I suggest you do more research on the set up of saltwater tanks and research each animal more

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NO - the tank is too small for a clown, let alone a clown and other fish.

It is suitable for a shrimp and shrimp goby, but alone with no clown(s).

Eh depends. They aren't open water swimmers and spend 99% of their time in the anemone ime

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back