Is this , Bryopsis

Pbowman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is, could use some advise.I'm dosing magnesium and have changed my halides. Water parameters are good no Phos.

Attachments

• bryopsis1.jpg
    bryopsis1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 415

jwebber974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bryopsis and killed it by slowly raising the mag level to 1650 and letting it ride using Kent tech m. Mine was greener than this but maybe it is just your flash washing out the picture.

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup this is bryopsis and its hard to get rid of it, Raise your mag levels numbers mentioned above but do slowly so that you don't shock your inhabitants...

anubis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also another way is your temperature in your water... Is your heater working fine? Is there any fish stirring up sand? Any bacteria that suppose to live under sand once they are stirred up and land on the surface items on your tank will sprung an algae :)

ReeferMan420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reach out to Albert Thiel. He has been working on solutions to these outbreaks. I'll try and find the discussion he had on it.

tmg1286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes....and it's difficult to rid of.

I'm dealing with this algae myself, and attacking it by; reducing feedings, daily change-out of the filter pad in my sump, an increased magnesium level, and most recently, the use of PhosBan (GFO). Additionally where I can........removal by hand!

All things considered, I'm quite happy with the results.

PS: remember to G-O S-L-O-W. Nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank.

Dog Boy Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs will eat it. They don't like it. I think it cuts their mouth , but they will clean a rock in a couple of hours if I drop it in the main tank. They wont clear it from an infested tank by themselves, but they do help keep it from coming back. Its tuff, especially since it irritates corals if it touches them, but I have cleared it in two different systems using grazers and being extra careful with nutrient management. Nice thing, if you only have tangs and other grazers in an sps tank is you can always drastically reduce feeding to help deal with any nuisance algae.

ChuckFu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the affected rock, do so, remove by hand, let fry out, or replace with new rock. Keep nutrients in check. Your phosphates are probably low, because this is masking it. Tangs, yes, but I've found hectors gobies, and Molly's work better. Raise mag, if you font have a gfo reactor, but have a skimmer, vodka dose. What's your source water like? If your RODI still has TDS, there is your issue. If you are using NSW, I bet that's another issue. NSW where I am is horrible, full of silica.

Fish4Ted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 12gallon reef was infested. The algae was competing with star polyps and winning. I increased my husbandry. Physical removal resulted in same amount or more growth weekly. Ultimately 25% water changes every four days, Kent nano A & B every other day, and the temporary addition of a green sea hare cleared the system. Coral growth is returning and parameters are correct. I will continue the aggressive water changes going forward to stay ahead of it. Sea hare is moving to a friend's tank and then back to the shop I acquired it from for 50% store credit. A bargain for sure. Wish we could create a sea hare shuttle program to help resolve periodic outbreaks.

mocika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same problem. Tangs do not eat it. I try with kole and desjardini. A just boouth Fox face and will see the results. My Mg is 1650 but i made it with red sea suplement, not Kent tech mg. I have 3 TDS in my RODI watter. I will try with 0 TDS and I order Kent tech Mg. Looking forward for other experiences with this algae.

CloudIX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing, looked just like this. The kent Tech Mag did turn it white but did not kill it. I took a sample to the LFS and was informed that its a form of GHA and not bryposis. Said this type of GHA looks a lot like bryopsis and its easly confused. After that advise i added my fish back to the tank and the tang and lawnmower blenny cleared the tank in about a week. I know from what i have read that almost no fish will eat bryopsis and since this was devoured by my fish. It leads me to believe it was GHA, but it looked exactly like the picture you have.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Buy some Kent Tech M and raise your mag levels to 1500 to 1600 ppm. There is something in the Kent Brand that nuisance algae does not like. Try to remove as much of it as you can by hand. Good luck!

OP
OP
P

Pbowman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all I am dosing with the Kent Tech M and Changed all filters in Ro and the membrane 0 TDS and no Phos.. Changed to a wavemaker to get better water movement also.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kent Tech-M works great. But be advised it will take A LOT of it to treat your tank. The high level of mag needs to be maintained at 1600-1800 for at least 2wks.

OP
OP
P

Pbowman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also another way is your temperature in your water... Is your heater working fine? Is there any fish stirring up sand? Any bacteria that suppose to live under sand once they are stirred up and land on the surface items on your tank will sprung an algae :)
What Temp do you suggest?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back