Is this chasing numbers?

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I am relatively new to the mixed reef game, but have luckily had a great start thus far. I have a mixed reef tank 150G tank that I have been testing regularly and have set up a dosing pump using the red sea calculator (the supplements i use.)

I am currently using my remaining Instant Ocean reef crystals but once that is done, I have red sea coral pro ready to switch in.

I daily dose Magnesium and Alkalinity, but have not yet started calcium because my numbers have stayed pretty constant.

My parameters are as follows:
Calcium: 415
Magnesium: 1200
Alkalinity: 3.8/10.6

On my Red Sea supplement bottles, they list the following "ideal parameters" for mixed reef
Calcium: 450
Magnesium: 1350
Alkalinity: 4.15/11.5

I am wondering if I should dose supplements using the reef calculator to get up to the parameters laid out by Red Sea, or just let things continue as they are. My coral seem happy, and I believe my parameters are within the stability window, i am just wondering if it is worth doing a larger short term dosing plan to get to the "ideal parameters" or if that would be just an endless pursuit of chasing numbers.

I really appreciate the feedback. If i have missed any info that would help, please let me know. Thanks!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have alot of corals? Any reason your still dosing Alk when it's already so high?

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not clear what your Ca/Alk supplements are but if it’s a two-part, I’d dose it in equal amounts and forget about your Ca number—just dose based on Alk and check your Ca once in awhile. Test kits just aren’t going to be all that precise, but the organisms in your tank will reliably consume both in a reasonably tight ratio.

I’d re-test your Mg and confirm it’s in the 1200 range. That seems like it could be testing error.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have alot of corals? Any reason your still dosing Alk when it's already so high?
On my Red Sea supplement bottles, they list the following "ideal parameters" for mixed reef
Calcium: 450
Magnesium: 1350
Alkalinity: 4.15/11.5
Seems weird and high to me too. Don't know why they would suggest such a high number, assuming the numbers are meq/L and dKh

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, that Alk. Too high for my tastes. Especially without knowing your N03 & P04.

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a couple of people who keep their tanks with those exact parameters and use that coral pro reef salt. It totally works, but IMO I'm not a fan of that high of alkalinity. Our hobbyist test kits are pretty inaccurate and multiple test kit brands will yield you multiple results, not to mention testing error. Higher alk is kind of known for being more unstable (dropping faster) and causing more calcification on your equipment. I like to keep my alk at 9.5.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that alk is too high for my liking. I keep mine closer to 8.

If what you are dosing is a 2part than you should be dosing calcium too.

I would retest Mg. May be a little too low.

OP
OP
Bhor217

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys! Could easily be testing error, i have been going to my LFS to check results and when they checked my KH, they got 8. Getting really frustrated with these manual tests!

Back