Is this coralline algae ?

vareefer1979

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like a type of coralline algae? The rock was from another tank which I scrubbed with brush to clean, I have only had the rock under kessil ap700 at 25% for 1 week, there was some coralline on some of the other rock in tank but not very much. I am in the process of setting tank up and trying to avoid new cycle but I did get aggressive cleaning the rock with water hose which was tap water, so I am not sure if I killed all the good bacteria , I haven’t added any fish yet, wanted to make sure water was right for livestock, I am trying to start off slow, the sand is new and used some off the old water from the tank rock was in. The tank the rock came out of had elevated nitrates so I plan to do big water change then monitor nitrates. My test kit did show that there was about 25 ppm ammonia and 0 nitrates and off the chart nitrates, so I definitely want to get the water specs correct. I think I will just keep the off to avoid and nuisance algae, I am not a total beginner but I feel like one, I had a FOWLR tank but never really monitored water quality like I want to now as I plan to eventually try a mixed reef. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_5636.jpeg IMG_5638.jpeg IMG_5637.jpeg

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No just looks like new rock algae to me which often is green, brown and purple. All my rocks still have the colors even after 3 years. If you scrubbed the rocks out of the tank you killed any coralline because it can't be exposed to air. If you used tap water then you nuked all your good bacteria too most likely. Just means starting from scratch again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back