Is this cyano or diatoms from No3PoX4?

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dosing about 5 days ago and am getting this on my sand bed. Blows away like it disintegrated but I can’t be sure I’m seeing it right
c8cdb36460cba29136b50d48686a0345.jpg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 diatoms .. is this a new tank ... how long has it been running ? Are you topping off with rodi ?? If so what is your tds ??

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also need too be careful with nopox .. IME you can strip the water of nutrients very quickly ..

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 diatoms .. is this a new tank ... how long has it been running ? Are you topping off with rodi ?? If so what is your tds ??

Tds 0, topping off with rodi from spectrapure. Tank up and running since early August. Tank cycled properly and corals thriving but I was trying to lower nitrates with nopox so I can start keeping Acros better. Is cyano only red?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah maybe a month ago but literally didn’t see any problems until yesterday, 3 days after starting no pox
4 months is still young for a tank , in fact it’s still possible too have diatoms and Gha for the first 6-8-10 months .. are your no3 and po4 high .. can you list your parameters and what your upstart process was eg live rock / dry rock

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months is still young for a tank , in fact it’s still possible too have diatoms and Gha for the first 6-8-10 months .. are your no3 and po4 high .. can you list your parameters and what your upstart process was eg live rock / dry rock

Sure can, nitrates are about 25 , phosphates around 0.06, alk 8.3 ph 8.2 salinity 1.025. Used live rock live sand. This isn’t my first tank by any means. Is my third upgrade in 4 years. Just never had this happen this late into a tank, and can’t possibly see the nopox creating diatoms but I’m sure it’s possible. If it’s cyano, it’s good to blow it off correct?

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, I’m going about half I suggested dosage to make sure I don’t strip it that fast.

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sternicus There's no such thing as a sure thing. ;)

I'd still cease carbon dosing to see if it goes away. No need for carbon dosing anyway.

Your nitrates are fine but your phosphates are very low – near zero.

That's enough NO3 for the carbon dosing to allow bacterial growth to tap out your phosphates.

You do not want that to happen....and locally where you see dino's, it's already happening. Dino's feast on bacteria as they bloom.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sternicus There's no such thing as a sure thing. ;)

I'd still cease carbon dosing to see if it goes away. No need for carbon dosing anyway.

Your nitrates are fine but your phosphates are very low – near zero.

That's enough NO3 for the carbon dosing to allow bacterial growth to tap out your phosphates.

You do not want that to happen....and locally where you see (what are probably) dino's, it's already happening. Dino's feast on bacteria as the bloom.

So when would be the best time to start dosing again? My nitrates are causing my sps to stn from the base up and I wanna lower them some how other than water changes because that isn’t working

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates do not cause corals to STN, so just put the nopox on the shelf for now. It'll keep! :)

STN is from the low-PO4...possibly along with another stressor or stressors.

Most commonly STN is starvation-related unless it's an old colony. Then if can be light- and/or flow-related too.....all (PO4, flow, light, NO3) are inter-related.

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates do not cause corals to STN, so just put the nopox on the shelf for now. It'll keep! :)

Most commonly STN is starvation-related unless it's an old colony. Then if can be light- and/or flow-related too.....all (PO4, flow, light, NO3) are inter-related.

Actually nitrates do cause stn, and when they were stning my phosphates were much higher and were dropping. Have one acros now when my tank was at .10 phos and still was stripping.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try running gfo in a media reactor too control your po4 .. I found that when I dosed nopox it seems too strip po4 a lot faster than no3 .. but that’s just my experience with it

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flow can definetly be an issue, as I have only one jebao pp-8 on a 90g tank. Think that’s a major issue causing the stn?

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also I blew the unknown substance away before dinner 2 hours ago and now it’s coming back. I’m leaning more towards it being diatoms now

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back