Is this damage or disease?

apologeticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

First post here but a long time reefer.

tl;dr version: Fish in QT for a week. Just noticed issue on eye (see pic). May have been caused by damage during water change. Might be a disease. What do you think?

Longer version:

I picked up this clown pair a week ago at the LFS and have had them in QT ever since. I've been treating them prophylacticly with PraziPro. Today I did a 50% water change and I'm running carbon again to end the treatment.

I used a 5g bucket and dumped the replacement water in too quickly at first. Then my daughter noticed that "nemo" had a problem on his eye. It's just one the one side. My best guess is that the clown was blown against something when I dumped the water in too quickly and was injured.

What does it look like to you? And, based on your diagnosis, what treatment do you recommend (if any)? These clowns are still in QT so if I need to treat them in some way it will still be easy to.
IMG_1140.jpg

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get a picture from the side? Erythromycin is a good med to treat for eye problems. Also epsom salt to reduce swelling, tbsp/5g. Although I can't tell whether it is damage or something else so I will call in some others for you.
@melypr1985 @ngoodermuth @Humblefish @aykwm

OP
OP
A

apologeticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get a picture from the side? Erythromycin is a good med to treat for eye problems. Also epsom salt to reduce swelling, tbsp/5g. Although I can't tell whether it is damage or something else so I will call in some others for you.
@melypr1985 @ngoodermuth @Humblefish @aykwm
Thanks! Here's a side shot. I have a few small pieces of rubble in the tank that it could have possibly been injured by.
IMG_1126.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be an injury though it's hard to tell. Does that white piece sticking out look to be part of the eye or something on top of the skin near the eye? Could you do a freshwater dip and see if it comes off in that (assuming it's on top of the skin or eye and not part of it)?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it could be an injury, but it does look almost like a growth of some sort starting.

Is it kind of like this?
b141b39fb2c11401797c925dd5b33af0.jpg
If it's like this that's lymph :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's like this that's lymph :)

Nope, wasn't lymph. Some sort of bacterial thing, or @melypr1985 called it "clownfish pimples"...the only thing that helped was a rally bath, and time. Antibiotics didn't touch it.

OP
OP
A

apologeticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be an injury though it's hard to tell. Does that white piece sticking out look to be part of the eye or something on top of the skin near the eye? Could you do a freshwater dip and see if it comes off in that (assuming it's on top of the skin or eye and not part of it)?
Hard to tell if it's part of the eye but my best guess is no. Never done a fw dip. Will have to look into it.
I agree it could be an injury, but it does look almost like a growth of some sort starting.

Is it kind of like this?
b141b39fb2c11401797c925dd5b33af0.jpg
Again, hard to tell but I don't think so. It seems more like the way skin would be raised from an injury. Has kind of a jagged edge.
Nope, wasn't lymph. Some sort of bacterial thing, or @melypr1985 called it "clownfish pimples"...the only thing that helped was a rally bath, and time. Antibiotics didn't touch it.
what is a rally bath?

Today I fed some cyclops. My B&W clown ate fine but the clown in question did not.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell if it's part of the eye but my best guess is no. Never done a fw dip. Will have to look into it.

Again, hard to tell but I don't think so. It seems more like the way skin would be raised from an injury. Has kind of a jagged edge.
what is a rally bath?

Today I fed some cyclops. My B&W clown ate fine but the clown in question did not.

Ruby's reef rally, contains acriflavine - an antiseptic.

Acriflavine

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Acriflavine.282887/

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, color me corrected! Never seen that before! :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that film actually hanging off the eyeball itself or from the skin just around the eye?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's the skin around the eye

No other meds except Prazipro, right? I think it's probably just damage around the eye. However, dosing a mild antibiotic such as Kanaplex might not be a bad idea after Prazipro treatment is complete.

OP
OP
A

apologeticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other meds except Prazipro, right? I think it's probably just damage around the eye. However, dosing a mild antibiotic such as Kanaplex might not be a bad idea after Prazipro treatment is complete.
Yes, just PraziPro so far and ended that treatment 2 days ago. No meds currently in the tank.

OP
OP
A

apologeticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Clown doing much better and the pair was just moved into the DT. Thanks for the advice.

Next question: I have a CB ORA filefish coming from Live Aquaria tomorrow. Still need to QT even though it’s CB?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back