Is this diatoms or?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 125mph
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

125mph

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2016
Messages
867
Reaction score
303
Location
San Diego
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had cyano issue and used chemiclean, which looks to fix the problem. But after 4 weeks now, I still have brown stuff on my sand and it might be diatoms but not sure. What else can this be?

I did dose a lot of silicates last year to stop a Dino issue so maybe its diatoms feeding on silicates?

IMG_4063.jpeg


IMG_4064.jpeg
 
Stringy and mucusy is cuyano dusty is diatoms. Syphoning and cleaning sanded can help. Sand sifters like nassarius snails and conchs do great as well as any sandsifter. This appears to be diatoms based on what I can see.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new