Is this goni gonna open?

maroonclown65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this purple goni from aquasd on April 4th it's been slightly open like this forever but never been more open than this, the red goni next to it seems happier than ever. Any advice?

20240411_153818.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it alone. It may take weeks to adjust and open. Some of us dose manganese and think this helps gonis to suceed.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had them take a week to open and I’ve moved one and it stayed like that for almost 3 weeks then just started

Your tank is very nice by the way, I like the diversity. How old is it?

OP
OP
M

maroonclown65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had them take a week to open and I’ve moved one and it stayed like that for almost 3 weeks then just started

Your tank is very nice by the way, I like the diversity. How old is it?
Okay I'll leave it alone, thank you it's about a year and a half old

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up one of those gonis specifically the violeet vortex if thats the same. Also grabbed ultra pick gonniopora. They were peaking out after a few hours and by end of day 2 beginning day 3 fully open. I have mine in semi study indirect flow. Hits glass and current is sent that way using a spinstream. What coral is next to it?
1000003195.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got this purple goni from aquasd on April 4th it's been slightly open like this forever but never been more open than this, the red goni next to it seems happier than ever. Any advice?

20240411_153818.jpg
Elevate it. Likely lacking flow at the low point of tank despite other being open and they are photosynthetic corals and obtain energy source from light for color . Inadequate light will cause them to change color and even shrink. Adding aminos to the tank is essential for their health.
Some good foods are chopped krill, mysis shrimp, phyto and zooplankton. Im not a fan of powdered plankton foods as they can raise phosphates quickly but they work well with goni and alveopora.
Assure no3 and po4 Not elevated. Also having some Manganese in the water helps them to reduce stress in general and its important to keep mag level at 1300-1350 to help stabilize CA and ALK level usage

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up one of those gonis specifically the violeet vortex if thats the same. Also grabbed ultra pick gonniopora. They were peaking out after a few hours and by end of day 2 beginning day 3 fully open. I have mine in semi study indirect flow. Hits glass and current is sent that way using a spinstream. What coral is next to it?
1000003195.jpg

Good thought. What coral is behind the Goni, it’s very close and could be causing stress

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing Manganese for 3 years and has really perked them up

Is there any risk from overdosing manganese? How do we know how much to add or what product to buy?

I have this and use it but I hate dosing blindly with no way to test it. Icp yes but results take a week or more

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is there any risk from overdosing manganese? How do we know how much to add or what product to buy?

I have this and use it but I hate dosing blindly with no way to test it. Icp yes but results take a week or more
I add but a few drops, not actually dosing it. I also get an ICP every 4-5 months which determines my level

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Manganese is depleted rapidly in a tank, especially by macro algae. Search diy manganese for threads on how to dose.

OP
OP
M

maroonclown65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000003195.jpg
To it's right there's a toadstool and above it there's an orange acan

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back