Is this green cyano or dino?

  • Thread starter Thread starter macdav7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

macdav7

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2023
Messages
10
Reaction score
2
Location
Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I've upgraded a couple of things in my 15g, like the light (Fluval marine 3.0 to AI Prime 16HD) and started dosing All-For-Reef since my tank was starting to get heavily stocked (coral-wise).

I didnt have this issue before but now I have this green film that covers the rock and sandbed. I tried manual removal but it keeps coming back and also has started forming these small patches of it that float on the surface.

It retreats at night (i.e sand and rocks look much cleaner) but during daylight it expands and covers everything.

Tank is LPS-heavy (hammers, favia, duncans, trachy, chalices, goniopora) with a couple of SPS (like montipora) and softies (kenya tree, mushrooms).

I'm not sure how to fix this, whether I should try chemiclean or just give a lot of reef roids to get my nutrients up, since my parameters are questionable.

Parameters:

Alk: 7.7 dKH
Nitrate (API test): 10 ppm
Nitrate (Salifert): < 2 ppm
Phosphate (Salifert): 0? (no color)

So either my Salifert tests are trash because I feed my clownfish pellets daily on top of giving my LPS some pellets weekly, or my corals are sucking up all the nitrates causing this green film.

dbf18d38-ba62-46d1-be5e-49474a8f9392.png unnamed.png Screenshot 2026-02-04 at 1.26.03 PM.png
 
Last edited:
Not sure by the picture . Please use white lights to film .
But according to your parameters you should never let your phosphates or nitrates reach zero as that’s when you’ll have issues .
 
Wha'ts your CUC look like and yea bump up your nitrates and phosphates!
*Also just noticed the pellet feeding, if you can vary the food type that may help.
 
Get a microscope to make sure it's not dinos. Tough to tell without it
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new