Is this ich or something else?

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 6 weeks ago we upgraded a stable 90 gallon system to a 125. The install was performed by our LFS who, a week after install sold us new fish to fill out the larger tank population.

Long story short almost all the fish have died. The new ones and our long term friends. This was not immediate but occurred in waves. A small ammonia and nitrite spike was identified which has passed. They called it "new tank syndrome" and reassured us our fish would recover with metroplex and garlic.

Unfortunately that has not been the case. We set up a 32 gallon quarantine system. For about 5 days our display seemed stable with 5 fish looking normal.

Foolishly (don't beat me up I know this was stupid now) they offered to replace some of the fish that had died for quarantine, and we started that. Small fish, 4 anthias and 4 firefish. Two anthias died in 2 days but we are 5 days in and the remaining ones look good. Eating well and swimming around.

Back in the display tank things have not gone as well. A clownfish died, after hovering in a cave for a few days.

Last evening our grandfather tang, whom. We've had for many years, was covered with white spots. He wouldn't eat. This was sudden, he'd been looking good.

We were able to capture him (it took hours of patience to wait for the right moment as he was still swimming around with energy) and place him in the quarantine tank with the others. We dosed cupramine in the quarantine when we set it up. Copper reads between 0.25 and 0.5 on the API test kit.

The tang is dying today. It may just have been too late for him. It may be we lose the remaining 3 fish in our display. If we do we will let it go fish less for 2 months.

The issue with trying to remove all the remaining fish is the corals. We lost several in the upgrade due to being knocked around as rocks were moved. We can't catch them without doing this again. Which could just stress them out all over again.

Just want to know if there is something more we can do.

Thanks for your patience with this post.
67f4fe5de5fafd8d3152db6c91ba3b48.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Reef Rally lists itself as reef safe. Do you recommend treating the display tank with it or just dipping as described in the treatment plan?
Or would formalin be better?
Want to be sure we get rid of this pest. Tired of making mistakes that harm the creatures we love.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Reef Rally lists itself as reef safe. Do you recommend treating the display tank with it or just dipping as described in the treatment plan?
Or would formalin be better?
Want to be sure we get rid of this pest. Tired of making mistakes that harm the creatures we love.

Both will only provide temporary relief of velvet. Copper or Chloroquine phosphate in a quarantine tank is what you need to 100% eradicate it.

OP
OP
S

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have our QT running with cupramine now. Just trying to have what is needed for the next outbreak in our display. We have three fish left. They look fine but I expect that is temporary.
Trying to figure out how to get them out for treatment.
Thank you so much for your help.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This homemade fish trap has worked for me (eggcrate, fishing line, and zip ties):

Fish-Trap-1.jpg
Fish-Trap-2.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting some egg crate today. Will try my hand at making one of these.
On another note:
Adding some Sponge from the sump of our display tank today to help with ammonia. Also planning to add some more Sponge filtration to eventually help also.
I've been told a UV Sterilizer could help deal with future outbreaks.
1. I don't expect the sterilizer to cure our problem.
2. I don't expect it to prevent future problems.
3. Our old system had one and we never ever had an outbreak like this in 5 years. We battled green hair algae, asterina stars and aptasia, but never anything that killed our fish like this.
My inclination is to believe the guy who recommended our first uv sterilizer and place one on our display for when we restock.
Still planning to QT all new fish. But we aren't in a position to QT inverts and corals for months. So some way to minimize protozoa would be helpful.
Any thoughts?

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to trap fish is going to take too long. You really should just take the rock and coral out to get the fish out now. The longer you wait, the less of a chance at survival.

OP
OP
S

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. We're trying not to lose the corals too. This has been a total disaster.
We don't have anywhere to put all the rock.
But I do agree with you. Now it's a choice between possibly losing corals as we disrupt everything for 3 fish, one of whom already looks too far gone to save.
If we hadn't just invested a fortune in the new system it might be enough to make us quit. We had our old system for 5 years without anything close to this.
Sorry for venting. Thank you for your advice. Appreciate the feedback.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. We're trying not to lose the corals too. This has been a total disaster.
We don't have anywhere to put all the rock.
But I do agree with you. Now it's a choice between possibly losing corals as we disrupt everything for 3 fish, one of whom already looks too far gone to save.
If we hadn't just invested a fortune in the new system it might be enough to make us quit. We had our old system for 5 years without anything close to this.
Sorry for venting. Thank you for your advice. Appreciate the feedback.

I've had to do this a few times in a 250. I didn't lose any coral. Get those Styrofoam coolers are cheap bins at walmart. Fill those with water, then as much rock as you can wet. Anything you cant fit, leave dry. It will be fine, especially if there is no fish in the tank.

OP
OP
S

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. We're going to bite the bullet and do this tonight.
Thinking a fresh water dip before placing in QT might help knock off some parasites but the 3 fish we are after don't have visible signs but two are acting sick.
Want to minimize stress for them. But also want to give them the best shot at survival.
We are flying on faith and love at this point. Any advice is welcome.

OP
OP
S

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to let folks know the fish we moved from our display last night are looking much better today. They are eating and swimming around the QT system. Yesterday they were hanging around in a cave not eating. We may have moved them in time. Huge difference in their behavior.
Thank you all for your help. Your advice and urgency saved what few fish we have left. Thank you so much.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back