Is this just a big Spirorbis tube worm?

Loring

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this little guy hanging out this morning just curious if anyone has any idea what it might be?

20220401_111836_1.gif

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see the shell in the image, but it could be something like. In my experience, they don't really get that big, so maybe some other type of filter feeder?

There are other fan worms that make tubes that may make ones with similar coils by chance rather than by default, or maybe some of the tube goes into the rock and only the top looks similar, but I think it's not your average feather duster... in fact, looking at the feather appendages, I would say not a normal feather duster (circular crown with visible feathering), and not a spirobid (again circular crown, but with a different look), and it looks much closer to the sort of single sided crown of a barnacle.

OP
OP
L

Loring

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see the shell in the image, but it could be something like. In my experience, they don't really get that big, so maybe some other type of filter feeder?

There are other fan worms that make tubes that may make ones with similar coils by chance rather than by default, or maybe some of the tube goes into the rock and only the top looks similar, but I think it's not your average feather duster... in fact, looking at the feather appendages, I would say not a normal feather duster (circular crown with visible feathering), and not a spirobid (again circular crown, but with a different look), and it looks much closer to the sort of single sided crown of a barnacle.
hopefully the gif is working when you click on the image, but yeah I'm just not sure if I should greet my new tank make or cover it up w/ epoxy, been in a bit of a battle w/ hitchhikers lately from a piece of live rock I got to cycle my new tank from my LFS that turned out to be a grenade apparently.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, very few of the things that I think I could be are invasive or dangerous to other things. Most filter feeders will just sit and do their thing and so long as they're extending far to irritate things, they can be largely left alone.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back