Is this metal halide too big for a 40?

I wouldn't put a 250 watt mh on a small tank like that.
Seems like it would be impossible to control the heat, even at 2' off the tank.

Don't think the 400 watt fixture and ballast would work out to well either.
 
I once had a 250DE on a 29H. All I needed was a clip on fan connected to a temp controller an it held 79 degrees easily. Fan would come on for 30 minutes at a time and the heater would run during the night.
 
I once had a 250DE on a 29H. All I needed was a clip on fan connected to a temp controller an it held 79 degrees easily. Fan would come on for 30 minutes at a time and the heater would run during the night.


big difference between a 29 gallon tank and a 8 gallon tank
 
The heat would be next to impossible to handle. Light acclimation a nightmare...
A Simple PAR38 bulb would be more than enough to light up a tank that small.
 
I traded this guy some xenia and acans for a compact power bulb thing (two 24" daylights and two 24" actinics with a fan). I geuss he wanted to get rid of it or something but it works. Actually too big for my nano so I am propping it up with the skimmer and the old light lol. I will probably eventually hang it.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new